What is wrong with my clown?

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Her mouth cannot close and seems to have some white stuff in it. She is very active and eating. Any help is appreciated.

IMG_5931.jpeg
IMG_5928.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be aggression/fighting. Is there another clown it fights with?

OP
OP
Sordfish

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be aggression/fighting. Is there another clown it fights with?
Thanks for the reply. There is another male clown but she is very happily bonded with him. I have never seen aggression between the two. Also note that the white stuff is partly on her lower lip.
IMG_5934.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may have had a domestic dispute. Hopefully we get some second opinions soon.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As was already said, clowns often 'lock mouths' like cichlids - and sometimes injuries can occur. Did you quarantine the fish? How long have you had it? How long did this develop over? Flukes can cause this - as can something (like sand, etc) stuck in the mouth

OP
OP
Sordfish

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As was already said, clowns often 'lock mouths' like cichlids - and sometimes injuries can occur. Did you quarantine the fish? How long have you had it? How long did this develop over? Flukes can cause this - as can something (like sand, etc) stuck in the mouth
I have had the clowns for almost 2 years. No new fish added since July - I am fully stocked. I quarantined every fish. Despite that The tank does have ich. No out brakes since July. I have a 27w UV which I periodically run. It has been off for 2 months since there is no sign of an outbreak.

I noticed that her jaw was locked open a week ago or so - but there was no white stuff that I remember - could be misremembering. I just didn’t think much of it. I have seen her chase the chromis around when they get too close to the anemone. She also loves to bite me - repeatedly and painfully - whenever my hands are in the tank to do maintenance. I have not seen any aggression from her otherwise.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the clowns for almost 2 years. No new fish added since July - I am fully stocked. I quarantined every fish. Despite that The tank does have ich. No out brakes since July. I have a 27w UV which I periodically run. It has been off for 2 months since there is no sign of an outbreak.

I noticed that her jaw was locked open a week ago or so - but there was no white stuff that I remember - could be misremembering. I just didn’t think much of it. I have seen her chase the chromis around when they get too close to the anemone. She also loves to bite me - repeatedly and painfully - whenever my hands are in the tank to do maintenance. I have not seen any aggression from her otherwise.

It could be hyperextension of the hyoid process/bone. That can happen from aggressive biting. I’ve tried using an anesthetic and working the jaw back into place, but with only partial success.

Jay

OP
OP
Sordfish

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be hyperextension of the hyoid process/bone. That can happen from aggressive biting. I’ve tried using an anesthetic and working the jaw back into place, but with only partial success.

Jay
Thanks. I don’t think I’d be capable of doing anesthetic work. What is the prognosis, if indeed it is hyperextended bone?

Hawkeyesown11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male clownfish had this happen a few months ago. The pair decided to host my hammer coral. After a few days I noticed the males jaw was locked open and had white on his bottom lip. It stayed like this for a little over a week. He did keep putting hammer polyps into his mouth and then would spit them out. I wasn't sure if it was a fighting injury or being stung from the hammer. He continued to be interested in food while his jaw was locked open. Hopefully you have a similar outcome.

OP
OP
Sordfish

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male clownfish had this happen a few months ago. The pair decided to host my hammer coral. After a few days I noticed the males jaw was locked open and had white on his bottom lip. It stayed like this for a little over a week. He did keep putting hammer polyps into his mouth and then would spit them out. I wasn't sure if it was a fighting injury or being stung from the hammer. He continued to be interested in food while his jaw was locked open. Hopefully you have a similar outcome.
Thanks. I am presuming he is all better now?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I don’t think I’d be capable of doing anesthetic work. What is the prognosis, if indeed it is hyperextended bone?
As long as it can continue to feed normally, it is really just a bit disfiguring. I had a basslet live for years with it.
Jay

OP
OP
Sordfish

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an update in case anyone sees this in the future, the clown got all better by herself within about 3 weeks. I realized it one day when I was cleaning some algae and she once again engaged in her favorite activity: bite the hand that feeds you!!!! As my daughter said: I bet you never thought you’d be happy to be bit by her.

IMG_6055.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back