What is wrong with my RBT Anemone?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
received_480345639654502.jpeg
Impossible to say with no information. Clearly it is not happy! If you don't have test kits and know your parameters you should not be keeping an anemone! I would return it to the store and buy some decent test kits.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont have a marine test kit yet i only know the salinity is spot on all the time. The light is a led that came with the 46l arc tank so i thought the light was to weak formmy guess. But the tank is new nearly 4months cycled all the other corals are thriving and fully extended. I use tap water and chlorine neutralizer for water changed i do like 25 to 30 % water change.
I am not familiar with that light. I doubt it is strong enough for much more than soft corals. However I am pretty sure the problem is in your water parameters. Tap water has a lot of possible issues for a reef tank.

OP
OP
MANGOxLIPS

MANGOxLIPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks peeps yeah i wasnt sure what test kit i did see this red reef marine test kit but ill try the one use suggest. And ill keep use updated what the paramaters are.

OP
OP
MANGOxLIPS

MANGOxLIPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys is there aye Aquarium Rodi system i can buy to actually put on the salt water tank?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI system does not go on your tank. You use it to make pure fresh water, refereed to as RO/DI water. That is then used for top off water and to mix with salt mix for your replacement saltwater (often referred to a NSW).
You can also use distilled water or buy RO/DI water from your LFS, or a water store. You should have a TDS meter to make sure the water you buy or make has zero TDS (Total Dissolved Solids)

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That can be consisting of a lot of thing. Most will be various salts, including calcium, but some can easily be toxic elements like copper, lead, iron, chlorine, chlorimine, florid and many drugs. The different stages of. RO/DI remove different things to get pretty pure water at zero TDS.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tds should be zero for fresh water used for saltwater tanks. you will need to stop using tap for long term success with reef keeping

OP
OP
MANGOxLIPS

MANGOxLIPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive also noticed the heat wave this weak where i live my tank hit 31c :( could of been this big problem to haha

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive also noticed the heat wave this weak where i live my tank hit 31c :( could of been this big problem to haha

Your tank not prepared stability wise, being lack of temperature control, water parameters, light, likely flow, and beneficial bacteria/organisms is making your tank uninhabitable for most things reef keepers want in their tank.

OP
OP
MANGOxLIPS

MANGOxLIPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my tank guys i took my tank water to my local fish store and everything is perfect it turns out the heat wave really did a number on my tank.

OP
OP
MANGOxLIPS

MANGOxLIPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank not prepared stability wise, being lack of temperature control, water parameters, light, likely flow, and beneficial bacteria/organisms is making your tank uninhabitable for most things reef keepers want in their tank.
My flow is good but yes the light is a must im not sure whats a good priced light anny opinions?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you ask him what test kits they used? I find that most use crappy API test kits to test. Also did they give you your actual numbers because that is important

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my tank guys i took my tank water to my local fish store and everything is perfect it turns out the heat wave really did a number on my tank.
Using tap water for long term success is asking for trouble. You've received a lot of good information on this post. As far as lighting is concerned personally I'd go with a nice LED system like AI prime or Kessel since you're already running into heating concerns.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its going to be more important to stop using tap water and to figure out how to keep your tank at stable temp whether its running ac in the house 24/7 or buying a cooler

OP
OP
MANGOxLIPS

MANGOxLIPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you ask him what test kits they used? I find that most use crappy API test kits to test. Also did they give you your actual numbers because that is important
Red sea marine test kit im pretty sure and i didnt get numbers but he said everything was good and no amonia. He also said they use the town tap water and apparently our water is safe because that ive been using to. But i know 31c is extremley hot but i feel like theres moore to it for the sea anenome to be like this. And my gonipora wont extend either haha but light is a massive issue to.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt go to a local fish store that is using tap water with over 100 tds, that isnt acceptable in any way, that LFS is cutting corners if thats true

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your sized tank the rodi media cartridges wouldnt need to be changed for a long long time before tds got to even 1, but if you live close to a LFS with rodi or a grocery store with distilled water that would work fine

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to jump in to say two things.
Take that clear cover of the tank unless you have jumping fish.
It will help in 2 ways;
1) help cool the tank by letting evaporation happen and
2) give the anenome some more light. Besides the water problems, they like to wander if they are not getting enough light in search of a better spot.

Good luck, carry on.

Back