What is Your Favorite Memory From a Reef Convention/Show

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With some of the big reefing conventions just around the corner, such as Reefapalooza or Aquashella, I'm curious to hear what has been one of your favorite moment from one of these shows. Maybe it is an interaction you had with someone, or maybe it was being able to buy that coral you have been looking for; maybe it's winning a free tank from a raffle.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago, I spoke at a few MACNAs and the IMAC conference that isn't around any longer. I fondly remember meeting Bob Fenner at a Washington DC MACNA - he was a really interesting person. I also remember going to the home of one of the Louisville MACNA people - she was called "the puffer lady". She was a strong proponent for feeding garlic to fish - I recall her house smelled like an Italian bistro (grin).

Jay

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably going with family and/or friends. Even non reef people become interested in the endless supply of color and blue lights lol.
It’s always fun seeing people who aren’t normally into aquarium get interested seeing all the variety of coral or fish that people are selling.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely the interaction with other people, Whether sitting down and talking with someone like Veron or Deblius and having and chatting about their exploits. Or sitting down and having lunch with someone like Andrew Sandler - The one on one time is great.

And then even better is after the show is closed, and the bar is winding down, ending up in the hotel suites, or elevators, or lounges with some of your favorite reef speakers, experts, proponents, etc just hammered off their trochus shells.

And for those that remember the IMAC shows -- Hats off to the Seahorse group who threw some of the best parties ever - after hours.

Dave B

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last weekend I got to chat with Lou Ekus and Andrew Sandler, that was fun.

Few years ago I won in a raffle a tunze ATO and a aquamaxx skimmer, the same day. That was a fantastic day!

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last weekend I got to chat with Lou Ekus and Andrew Sandler, that was fun.

Few years ago I won in a raffle a tunze ATO and a aquamaxx skimmer, the same day. That was a fantastic day!
Oh, wow! You got pretty lucky with the raffles

docforestal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
meeting the people was a favorite and the the imacs, i was part of the frag exchange, fun to cut up these huge corals that were donated, to demonstrate how to frag and giving away frags to folks, what would be thousands of dollars of corals today

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
meeting the Rev in 2015 at Orlando Reefapalooza and recalling the conversation we had just after Cory Girl passed in 2013.
He remembered and that meant a-lot to me.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, wow! You got pretty lucky with the raffles
The MACNA I went to I thought there was going to be a rebellion at the raffle. The lady calling out the raffle numbers won a couple of the large prizes. There were a lot of unhappy people that day.

AquaticYeti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter winning a coral at Reefapalooza Orlando on a spin the wheel game. It was awesome!!! Lights were flashing and they had a siren going off. She’s 6 so a highlight for her too!

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back