What is your go to Acropora pest dip/ dipping routine?

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. I’ve only used it twice but the corals were really clean. One had an acro crab that immediately jumped off as soon as it hit the dip. I was able to save it but haven’t seen it since. I was told by another hobbyists that this is what battlecorals uses and it’ll kill everything. I have 2 qt’s. First qt is really just a holding/observing tank, mainly for shipped corals bc I don’t like dipping right out of the bag. Then they get removed from their base and dipped and go into my main qt where they will stay for a couple week before a second base removal and dip then they go in a side frag tank that’s plumbed into my DT. There’s a 6 line and 5 peppermint shrimp in there in case anything slips past. It’s worked so far but I’ve honestly never seen any aefw, red/black bugs etc. I would even strain the Bayer dip to see what was in there and never saw anything scary.
I wish I had the luxury of setting up a few QT’s like that. I will later after I buy a house.

If Adam is using that dip, it must be good. He doesn’t deviate much from old school methods unless he knows something good. :)

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had the luxury of setting up a few QT’s like that. I will later after I buy a house.

If Adam is using that dip, it must be good. He doesn’t deviate much from old school methods unless he knows something good. :)
1st qt is a 3 gallon

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of our dogs has bladder cancer. This type of cancer is typically caused by pesticides. No sense in taking that risk anymore
I hear ya. That was part of the reason I changed to a melafix dip but must have messed that up, got red bugs and am now back to bayer's/bioadvanced. I did like the fact that melafix was a more natural solution but I must have gone too weak. Other than being dangerous to work with my only gripe with bayers is seeing what falls off as I've found I can go very heavy without stress on the coral.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you do not buy the one that has “Soil and Turf” in big cap letters. It does have different ingredients. @reef_daddy can tell you more about his experience.

CB779C4D-FF03-4268-90C6-C79C1DCF3604.jpeg
E85F2E6B-62C7-4E1C-A831-C6A8B7CC5A94.jpeg
Do they still sell the other one.
At Lowes all I find is this one.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So from what I understand it’s the exact same product with same ingredients with a new manufacturer.

Product Overview
Bio Advanced previously known as Bayer Complete Insect Killer for Soil & Turf Concentrate kills the most common lawn pests like ants, fleas, ticks, grubs, and more. Bayer Complete Insect Killer is a two-way formula that treats the surface and the soil. Surface insects are killed within 24 hours, while soil insects are controlled for up to three months.

Old Bayer label’s:
3B8FB001-BBEE-416F-A6FD-BFB7E7CCBF7E.png
390FCE6D-D634-4AFD-9344-4E37343B6944.png

Here’s the new label called BioAdvanced:

C73657C2-E8AD-4DF5-B9B7-C1EB70C5BB79.png
673FDDF6-9214-40D4-8DDF-8322820B0AEF.png
B42B5C92-9F92-4000-B0B4-882262B5FACA.png
5F8B99C9-965D-48A1-A918-C89848AC5B82.png
@Reefer_kano this is the one you want. i believe you can order on amazon. not sure if the hardware stores (lowes/home depot) carry this one. they likely carry the other one you quoted/posted

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefer_kano this is the one you want. i believe you can order on amazon. not sure if the hardware stores (lowes/home depot) carry this one. they likely carry the other one you quoted/posted
Thank you @shakacuz, yea, I kind of need it asap tho.
Lowes and depot don't have that specific one, I just checked .

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a once and done, or should you treat again in a week or so?
Am I safe to assume this is safe for soft corals?
I have only used it on acropora. Once and done. I have used it for over 7 years with no issues or bugs.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please be vary careful using bayer. I recently dipped quite a few frags while still on their plugs. rinsed them in two different containers before putting them into my frag tank. Apparently I didnt get all of it out of the pours of the plugs, some must have leached into my water and killed 3 of my cleaner shrimp. The tiniest bit of this stuff will kill your shrimp in a heart beat. I would assume do a number of your pod population also.
Jeff

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only used it on acropora. Once and done. I have used it for over 7 years with no issues or bugs

Thanks.
If potassium chloride works, why would anyone mess around with something as toxic as Bayer?
We are talking 3g/liter RODI water, is that right?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back