What is your Inkbird set at?!

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I installed an Inkbird a few weeks ago which runs 2 standard Eheim heaters in my 55 gal. For about $30 the peace of mind is well worth it.

However, with the Inkbird +/- 1 degree F, I have more of a temperature swing now. Originally I could get the Eheims to stay between 77.8 and 78.1 when running on their own.

Now with the Inkbird set to 78, it doesn't fire up the heaters until temp drops to around 77.2, which my Coral Life Digital and JW thermometer read just under 77. Based on the Inkbird the swing is 77.2 to 78.1, 0.3 degrees lower all around per the other thermometers (76.9 to 77.8).

Does anyone run the Inkbird at 79 to get a ~78-79 F swing instead?

20220621_164953.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you change the inkbird to Celsius, you can make finer adjustments. I did this (and printed out a little cheat sheet conversation table for myself, lol!)
However, I don't think the 0.8 degree Fahrenheit swing is a problem either.

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you change the inkbird to Celsius, you can make finer adjustments. I did this (and printed out a little cheat sheet conversation table for myself, lol!)

Oh nice, I didn't know that!!

I keep my Inkbird at 79 and let the heater self regulate at 78. That way it is a fail safe device only, as it removes power from the heater if the heater fails in the ON position.

Great idea also. The Eheims are a little annoying to reset as the actual temp never matches the dial, but I may see if I can work them back in the range I had prior (had turned them up to let the Inkbird regulate), and run the Inkbird at 79.

Great tips! Love this forum :)

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice, I didn't know that!!

Great idea also. The Eheims are a little annoying to reset as the actual temp never matches the dial, but I may see if I can work them back in the range I had prior (had turned them up to let the Inkbird regulate), and run the Inkbird at 79.

Great tips! Love this forum :)
I have that same (cheapest) InkBird with 2x Eheim 100w heaters and I do exactly what radfly said -- Eheim heaters regulate temperature and InkBird is just fail-safe shutoff if one of the heaters gets stuck ON,,, plus InkBird is my temperature display.

*I was actually thinking of switching to letting the InkBird control temp since, as you said, the Eheim heaters are finicky to dial-in (((but mine are good to go right now so leaving it alone until one of the heaters needs to be replaced))).

The other nice thing (...my speculation...) is that the InkBird should last longer since it's not switching ON/OFF constantly.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back