What is your least expensive coral that you're most proud of?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Piggybacking off of @revhtree thread on most expensive coral in your tank, I'd like to see your least expensive (even if it was free) coral in your tank that you're most proud of.
For me itd have to be my hammer coral colony. My uncle gave it to me when I first started out. For the low low price of FREE
This coral has gone through so much and undergone several accidental fraggings. I've gone from one head to 50 back down to two and back to however many I have now lol
20190803_130721.jpg

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I would say free ones.

I worked part time at a coral shop for 3yrs...which I highly recommend... and since I was the "frag person" that ran the bandsaw... the owner would let me take home stragglers, ugly leftover tiny frags not suitable for sale in the shop. Tiny odd shaped pieces.

With a lot of TLC... I would get some pretty nice grow out. I would then frag from my own tank and take frags back in for the owner to sell. Give n take, free sharing. He was a passionate hobbyist too and when smthg really nice would come in, he'd say, getcha a tiny piece of that and see what you can do with it....Awesome trading fun

It was a hard job but learned a lot.... plus got free frags.... plus got fish, reg coral, drygoods at his cost.

Sweet job. I miss it.....

Last edited:

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably my Organ Pipe...it grows that fast i have to cut it in half roughly every three to four months

Took half to my LFS last week and he gave me the Moon Coral sitting next to it on the sand, it has paid for itself over and over so would be my least expensive coral i am most proud of

IMG_20190721_222609.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Between mushroom and xenia

660g 7.21e.jpg

SaltyFoxfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A before and after. This xenia came with the tank and was almost completely dead (first picture wasn't the worst of it, but close), now it's happy, starting new colonies, and growing like the weed it is supposed to be. A lot of people might not like these, but this particular colony I'm really proud of, even if I'll curse it in a few months. [emoji28]

20190704_133012.jpeg
IMG_20190804_152130_693.jpeg

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to say my Purple Scroll Coral. Got it as a 1x1 nub and now it's pushing at least 6x5. It's been through thick and thin of a tank crash and a tank transfer/upgrade. I believe I paid like $20.00 for it.

Here's when I first got it spring of 2017
scroll coral nub.jpeg

And here it is now summer of 2019, 2 years later.
scroll coral.jpeg

Rilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of frags I got for free that turned into nice colonies. I’m great for the reefers that really go the extra mile to help new reefers out.

One guy gave me a neon green trumpet with 3 heads and a 2 headed Duncan. That Duncan is now 20+ heads and so is the trumpet.

For the cheapest I bought it’d have to be a purple chalice coral. I’m not sure if the name. It’s still small right now but I see lots of potential.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back