What makes that $$$$ piece of equipment better than the $$ one?

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The saying goes "you get what you pay for", but is that always true? All of my equipment in my tank are the cheaper brands, mostly purchased from Amazon (Hygger, Jaebo, MagTool) and with the exception of one heater going bad after more than a year, everything else has done me well (so far).
You can find even the lower priced stuff (for example a Hygger WaveMaker at $80) that seem to have at least MOST of the bells and whistles that the higher, $250-$350, wavemakers have. (BRS even sells one for $880!)
Obviously, a $30 AC wavemaker isn't going to compare to a DC controllable one, but comparing apples to apples, what makes a $$$$ item better than a $$ item?
Quality of build? Could be. But from what I read or hear, higher priced things fail almost at the same rate as lower priced ones.

It's your money. Spend it however you want. I'm just wondering why buy something for $$$$ when you can when you can buy something (almost?) just as good for $-$$?

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you really put a price on hype? To me its one thing if money isnt an issue, you dont need a ferrari but why not if you got the cash? But where money isnt falling from trees the most common logic I read is "you need to buy the $800 one because if you buy the $80 one you might have to replace it in a year" like "if you spend $200 on a t5 system instead of $2000 on leds you are going to wind up having to buy $25 light bulbs every 12 months!11@!1!!!"

Lol.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's often the case that the more expensive gear is more controllable. To each their own, but after almost 30 years of reefing, I've given up on cheap gear. If I want to save a little money I buy nice gear second hand. The hobby has a revolving door and there is always fantastic used stuff to be purchased.

Buy once, cry once.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost does not always equate to value or features, but far more often than not there is correlation. You as the purchaser are the only one that can assign value criteria and/or set your limits, expectations and points of diminished return.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More controllable is one thing. But thats not always the case. More often the case is the method of control is more appealing and even then not by much. As far as things failing in my 30 years of keeping fish the only equipment Ive ever had fail, outside of something like a pump needing a new impeller after years of use, were those crap department store type power filters.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More controllable is one thing. But thats not always the case. More often the case is the method of control is more appealing and even then not by much. As far as things failing in my 30 years of keeping fish the only equipment Ive ever had fail, outside of something like a pump needing a new impeller after years of use, were those crap department store type power filters.
Take the fancy LED vs the t5 example you posted about. The LED can be tuned to an almost infinite array of spectra and intensity, can be controlled remotely, and can be integrated into the control ecosystem that all the other tank gadgets use.

Now, frankly I prefer metal halides myself, but even I am impressed by the crazy features on the new high end led lights.

None of the fancy things are NEEDED but they often make the hobby easier.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a name brand pricy dc return pump. I almost don’t want to post it because I’m ashamed how much I spent

Well here it is
78DB01C4-B73F-4F1A-AB41-4AC99C802799.jpeg

The Uniclife Dep4000 ! I call it the Derp4000!

I paid a whopping $72.96 for it in 2017 and it has worked flawlessly 24/7 since. Digital controller with real-time wattage display, 100 yes 100 levels of output control, feed mode. It came in Porsche Blue. No fancy apps or anything to connect to. I only need to use it on level 35-40 on my 75g tank. It’s silent and as quiet as it was the day I got it. I’ve cleaned it….1 time since 2017

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated earlier, price doesn't equal quality. If it's too good to be true, you'll notice why when you get it. Worth keeping an eye out for quality at a fair price. Noopsyche lights are an example. Not the most amazing app or connectivity, but so far the lights themselves seem very well made and give off a great spectrum that my corals and nems seem to appreciate.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the fancy LED vs the t5 example you posted about. The LED can be tuned to an almost infinite array of spectra and intensity, can be controlled remotely, and can be integrated into the control ecosystem that all the other tank gadgets use.

Now, frankly I prefer metal halides myself, but even I am impressed by the crazy features on the new high end led lights.

None of the fancy things are NEEDED but they often make the hobby easier.
Yes, I agree. Led's can do some pretty cool things and the ability to fine tune lighting to exactly what you want is one of them. Personally I dont like them enough to spend the money but I will admit they are neat. The point I was trying to make is when someone looking into starting their first reef reads many people saying "you'll fail if you dont get the stuff you cant afford"

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 15g nano I used a aqua knight led on a gooseneck, I forget the model and I had exceptional growth. I got picky and wanted “more control” and got an AI Prime 16hd.

What a mistake. I hate this thing. Like yea it works. And it melted its own lens and has molten drip marks forever with no channel ever going over 40%. Then the fans started buzzing and still do.

I swear my growth was better with the aqua knight and it never had lens or fan issues. Yea I have better control and like the app, but the led itself is cheaper quality. All plastic with cheap internals compared to all metal and durable components.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I firmly believe in the mantra “buy once cry once” because more times than not it is true however there are always exceptions. I finally decided to ditch my trusty mag drive ac pumps on my new build and try DC pumps. While I looked at all the fancy name brand pumps I kept seeing people rave about Jaebo even though they were much cheaper. I rolled the dice and have been pleasantly surprised with them and saved a good chunk of $$ to buy other things that I didn’t want to skimp on.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I firmly believe in the mantra “buy once cry once” because more times than not it is true however there are always exceptions. I finally decided to ditch my trusty mag drive ac pumps on my new build and try DC pumps. While I looked at all the fancy name brand pumps I kept seeing people rave about Jaebo even though they were much cheaper. I rolled the dice and have been pleasantly surprised with them and saved a good chunk of $$ to buy other things that I didn’t want to skimp on.

That same thing happened to me years ago. My expensive mag drive 7 was almost 200$ and had zero features and died from swollen magnet after 2-3 years. I coughed up 180$ and replaced it and that one lasted 2-3 years. I got fed up and cheap Dc pumps were entering the market and I bought a jebao Dc3000 in 2014, for 80$ and figure if it lasts a year or two I get my monies worth. That lasted 3.5 years and was less than half the price of the mag drives. Then I got the uniclife and have an incredible 6+ years for 80$

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced 716w of halide and t5 back in 2013 with reefbreeders leds on my sps reef and was blown away. I’ve bought a photon 48, photon 32, and a photon 48v2+ from them. I swear by them and it’s a quality product from a middle of the price range company that delivers exceptional performance and build quality

I have all of them and while the older ones are in storage I refuse to sell them, they worked great for me and still work if I had a need to use them

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I regret buying my Reef Wave 25 from Red Sea for $329.00 ...should have went with the Jebao, I have it cranked up all the way in a 40GB tank and Still need to use one of my other wave makers....I could have bought the Jebao for a fraction of the price....but...but...but I wAnTeD tO HaVE ApP COnTroLZ guyzM!!...totally don't even need it

Here's another secret...Red Sea Reef Wave....is made in China!...probably same factory as Jebao!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back