What is your preferred titanium heater?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
40,649
Reaction score
67,833
Location
Fontana, California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking to get some opinions on this. I'm specifically looking ONLY at titanium heaters. What do you think is the best/most trusted one out there? I think I know, but wanted to get some other opinions first before I share mine.
 
Schego titanium heaters set the bar. I've never tried the Finnex, but I've never heard of a schego failing. Ever.

My tank temperature variation went from 0.6C each way with Glass heaters to 0.2C total (0.1C each way) with identical wattage Schego heaters.
 
Thanks for the responses so far guys! :-)
 
I’ve had my Won Brothers 1000W titanium heater going on 14 years now. Still works like a champ. It’s currently on an Aqua Logic controller. I’ve been through a few controllers over the years.
 
Thanks to this thread, and no thanks to the unfortunate Dr Foster And Smith situation I ordered 2 Finnex Titanium heaters and saved 15%

1547158377914blob.png
 
Thanks guys! I guess I'll go ahead and share that my expectation was that the recommendation would be Finnex. I've got one already, and I'm planning to pick up another. Just figured I'd see if Finnex was still the go-to brand. :-) Guess it still is! :D
 
I tried to simulate a runaway heater by setting my Finnex 200 to 92F. It shuts itself down after some time because my tank temperature didn't go above 78F. Maybe I'll turn both up next time.
 
I only run Finnex and all my tanks have titanium. I use the digital version that has an attached temp probe to sense the temperature and kick the heater in which warms the water up quickly
 
Finnex here as well, one of the 2 heaters in my sump is a 3 or 4 year old and I'm replacing the 2nd heater w/ a finnex.

I always run 2 heaters, both a little more than half the watts I need, that way a failure gets noticed before big changes, and it's the only reason I've let my one finnex go so long w/out just doing the yearly replacement I used to do.
 
I’ve had my Won Brothers 1000W titanium heater going on 14 years now. Still works like a champ. It’s currently on an Aqua Logic controller. I’ve been through a few controllers over the years.

Many years ago Won was my favorite, and back then pretty darn reliable, can't recall for sure but I'm pretty certain they were bought out and new ones not so reliable these days.
 
Good to know. Yeah, the new Won’s are different than the one I have.
 
Good to know. Yeah, the new Won’s are different than the one I have.

I still have a won from about 15 years ago, the controller eventually failed but the heater still works, so I use it to heat WC water only, but I have to be alert when I do as it's 1,000 watts, sucker cooks, I don't leave it in one spot long cause I'm scared it'll melt through my brute mixing can!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new