What is your process for planning an aquascape?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you do the work of creating an aquascape for your tank? I'm literally looking for a step-by-step process you guys go through.

Do you...
1) Start with creating a vision for the scape somehow?
3) Think through shapes you'll need to create different structures?
2) Stack rocks together to see how they look?

What is a good process for creating an aquascape that is 1) beneficial for the inhabitants of your reef and 2) also aesthetically pleasing as a design?

I think/hope this can be a beneficial discussion for our community and particularly those of us in the process of planning a new tank!

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a big rectangular tote that i fill w/ water and then i just yoink stuff around in there until i find something i like. then i either glue it and place it in the tank or i take a pic and reconstruct it in the tank.

Violet Paisley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you do the work of creating an aquascape for your tank? I'm literally looking for a step-by-step process you guys go through.

Do you...
1) Start with creating a vision for the scape somehow?
3) Think through shapes you'll need to create different structures?
2) Stack rocks together to see how they look?

What is a good process for creating an aquascape that is 1) beneficial for the inhabitants of your reef and 2) also aesthetically pleasing as a design?

I think/hope this can be a beneficial discussion for our community and particularly those of us in the process of planning a new tank!
I'm planning my first tank to setup after I move to a new apartment in a few months, so I'm having fun with the research and getting my purchase list in order. I decided that I will go with the Biocube 16G and Real Reef Mini Reef Box soooooooo...I had fun with my sketch pad and penciled out some initial design concepts. I just ordered some children's clay on Amazon and am gonna model miniature pieces that come in the 10-20 lb box to play around with—like any scenic designer would do. (I'm in professional theatre.) Too much?! Nah. Quite fun. I'm sure I'll throw half of the ideas out when I actually get to my launch date. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited:

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut piece of cardboard the same size as my tanks footprint. I used that to get an idea of how pieces would fit into the tank when picking which rock to use ( i have wayyyyy more dry rock than i needed). Now that its gone through a bleach and dechlorinator soak. I have it in the tank with strait RO. So it can soak while i play with the aquascape while it soaks. When i get it like i want it, ill use some super glue to secure it a bit.

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built my first aquascape. I did some research via YouTube and R2R to get an idea of what I should be aiming for and then looked at some NSA aquascape pictures for reference. Using the pictures for reference I then created a mental image of what I wanted my aquascape to look like and proceeded to start the work.

I used a box with tape around it to mark off the size of the tank with the height against the wall. Ordered a bunch of glue, insta set spray, and tons of rock to break down. When breaking down the rock it is best to break the pieces into funky shapes and try to avoid the circular look. I then went and added bigger pieces on the bottom for a foundation and got smaller and smaller as I continued. After the glue and insta set, I then went with the mortar to reinforce all the joints and for the final round took glue placed it on the cement and poured the powder from the Marco rocks to give it a matching look.

An NSA aquascape is massive pain in the butt, but as you’ll be looking at it for the foreseeable future it’s definitely best to invest the time into an NSA design.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 47.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back