Creating reef ridges: Do you have ledges in your aquascape?

Do you have ledges in your aquascape?

• Yes, I currently have ledges in my aquarium.

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • No, but I have had ledges in my aquarium in the past.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • No, but I am open to having ledges in my aquarium in the future.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • No, I have no plans to include ledges into my aquascape.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Creating reef ridges: Do you have ledges in your aquascape?

There are many approaches to creating an aquascape. Whether you use caves, arches, islands, ledges, or walls, there are many techniques and tactics to design for the fish, for the corals, and for the viewer. Sometimes the end result looks like an artistic sculpture and other times the end result looks more like a simple pile of rocks. Whatever the outcome, the best approach is often whatever looks good to you and creates a functional habitat for your livestock. Many fish will appreciate caves and arches, islands allow certain types of corals to be separated, and ledges and other methods of exposed rock can provide places to attach your coral. When you step back and look at your tank, do you have ledges in your aquascape? The ledges don't have to be suspended or counter balanced (although it looks great if they are!), a ledge along a solid rock structure can also create a beneficial platform for mounting corals. Please share your thoughts about ledges in the related thread and let us know if that is a technique that you try to include in your aquascape!

Takahashi_ROTM.jpeg

Photo by @Andre_Takahashi; Reef of the Month January 2024

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.deltecdirectusa.com

Deltec_Logo.png

“With dozens of protein skimmers, calcium reactors, media reactors and kalkwasser stirrers in operation, Deltec USA can speak from experience and help you with all your Deltec needs. Live customer support and a large inventory of products rounds out our mission to provide the best possible Deltec experience.”

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve posted this one before. I had to redo this tank that was built where the end of the tank wrapped around a support ( :face-with-rolling-eyes: ), and the tank had a black box from top to bottom on one end.

Built this structure with ledges out of of hydraulic mortar and live rock:

kb7rhUv.jpeg

cdIBB23.jpeg

End result:

2Kw58TK.jpeg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve posted this one before. I had to redo this tank that was built where the end of the tank wrapped around a support ( :face-with-rolling-eyes: ), and the tank had a black box from top to bottom on one end.

Built this structure with ledges out of of hydraulic mortar and live rock:

kb7rhUv.jpeg

cdIBB23.jpeg

End result:

2Kw58TK.jpeg
Almost exactly like the structure I'm making on an overflow in ours! Could you link the exact product you used? So far, I have been unhappy with what I've tried.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned a plating acro skeleton upside down and epoxied it to another structure to make a spreading tree like structure. I let macroalgae grow on it and encourage my BTA to stay there. The nem did stay and so did all the new nems. Anyway the structure is a cool ledge with the added benefit of keeping my nems out of trouble with the rest of my reef.
IMG_20240117_113610422.jpg

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost exactly like the structure I'm making on an overflow in ours! Could you link the exact product you used? So far, I have been unhappy with what I've tried.
I ended up using white plastic egg crate, hydraulic mortar (Quikrete), acrylic cylindrical rods to anchor the bigger rock pieces, and epoxy.

They have held up really well, but if I had it to do over again, I would have epoxied the egg crate and rods in first, then built the rock structure inside the tank.

I’ve also learned the hard way that you have to somehow adhere the structure to the vertical wall it’s on…you can’t just set them in there. They eventually buckle and fall apart without the support of being glued in place.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ended up using white plastic egg crate, hydraulic mortar (Quikrete), acrylic cylindrical rods to anchor the bigger rock pieces, and epoxy.

They have held up really well, but if I had it to do over again, I would have epoxied the egg crate and rods in first, then built the rock structure inside the tank.

I’ve also learned the hard way that you have to somehow adhere the structure to the vertical wall it’s on…you can’t just set them in there. They eventually buckle and fall apart without the support of being glued in place.
Very helpful. Thank you! Did you use reef epoxy or just regular 2 part?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back