Forming flow-friendly rock formations: Do you aquascape for flow?

Do you aquascape for flow?

• I focus primarily on flow when aquascaping.

Votes: 18 8.3%
  • I consider flow as one of many elements when aquascaping.

Votes: 145 67.1%
  • Flow is an afterthought when aquascaping.

Votes: 31 14.4%
  • I do not focus on flow when aquascaping.

Votes: 19 8.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

When we put together the aquascape in our tanks we have many things to consider. The elements to consider when aquascaping include future coral placement, creating arches and caves for fish, making the aquascape aesthetically pleasing both now and in the future, sturdy construction for safety of the tank and livestock, ease of cleaning, optimizing light, and much more. One element that can be overlooked is aquascaping for flow and considering the impact of the aquascape on the flow patterns within the tank. Do you aquascape for flow? Please share your thoughts and any tips that you may choose to share with the R2R community!

Andrewey_Aquascape.png

Photo by @SunnyX

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.deltecdirectusa.com

Deltec_Logo.png

“With dozens of protein skimmers, calcium reactors, media reactors and kalkwasser stirrers in operation, Deltec USA can speak from experience and help you with all your Deltec needs. Live customer support and a large inventory of products rounds out our mission to provide the best possible Deltec experience.” -Deltec USA

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

When we put together the aquascape in our tanks we have many things to consider. The elements to consider when aquascaping include future coral placement, creating arches and caves for fish, making the aquascape aesthetically pleasing both now and in the future, sturdy construction for safety of the tank and livestock, ease of cleaning, optimizing light, and much more. One element that can be overlooked is aquascaping for flow and considering the impact of the aquascape on the flow patterns within the tank. Do you aquascape for flow? Please share your thoughts and any tips that you may choose to share with the R2R community!

Andrewey_Aquascape.png

Photo by @andrewey

Deltec_Logo.png

“With dozens of protein skimmers, calcium reactors, media reactors and kalkwasser stirrers in operation, Deltec USA can speak from experience and help you with all your Deltec needs. Live customer support and a large inventory of products rounds out our mission to provide the best possible Deltec experience.” -Deltec USA
I think flow is one of the most important keys for healthy coral. So - I Aquascape with flow in mind - remembering also that if you're growing coral they are going to get larger and change your flow pattern

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build aquascapes as a side business and have done over 100 different aquariums and over 500 aquascapes. I can't imagine something more important than waterflow. Having sufficient water flow allows for water to pick up fish waste and detritus to be exported via filter sock, roller mat and skimmer.
One of the ways I fount to increase water flow is to have a very small base for aquascaping. This allows more water flowing through the bottom and prevent dead spots which accumulates detritus. We all seen it before, we remove a few rocks from our tank and this huge cloud of brown poop just completely clouds the water. Having a large base allows the rock to trap detritus until you disturb it when moving rocks around. Another benefit to a small base is it will allow you to vacuum your sand much better and prevent brown algae to grow on your beautiful white sand.

With that all said, aquascaping to allow sufficent water flow is just one aspect I consider. Type of tank, type of fish, type of corals are key to building a structure. A structure for SPS dominant tank is much different than for a FOWLR tank. A SPS structure tends to be thinner and more wide and low. This allows for more waterflow and growth of your sps. FOWLR tends to be thicker, taller with lots of overhangs and caves for fish to feel safe.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good percentage of my live rock does not sit on the sand. I have drilled 3 or 4 holes in the large pieces and glued in acrylic rods. These ‘legs’ allow more flow and great stability for the rock work, despite the ‘diggers’!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went other because although it’s one thought I have when aquascaping it’s probably the lowest on the list for my main display. My main thought in my main display is to do with swim room for my larger fish (the two Rabbits specifically however my angels also use it rather well, my bristletooth tang couldn’t care less). I also try to have it more taller but still have plenty of smaller gaps for my wrasses to sleep and dart around.
IMG_7842.jpeg

However, in my nano I’m focusing mainly on the SPS/LPS corals so I do scape based on flow. And I have low flow zones and zones that get battered.
I know my mille’s love to be hit with flow and it seems to grow them more clustered - here’s my newest Mille opened up.
IMG_7866.jpeg

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely consider flow in my scapes. That said I most recently moved a significant amount of my rock toward the back wall and there are a lot of over hangs. Current still passed under these overhangs to move detritus etc. and prevent any potential cyano issues.

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually run peninsula style tanks. Mainly for viewing and flow. Fish hiding spots tend to be the most impacted by this. Good flow keeps everyone happy though.

Since I started building all my own aquascape with mortar. There’s been less crevices for fish to hide. I think this is something I’d like to work more on.

IMG_2501.jpeg IMG_2502.jpeg

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from aesthetics flow/hydrodynamics is the most important consideration When I plan the rockquaskape. One pump in top right corner handles flow for this 150g. color is off on this pic those nems in the middle are red :upside-down-face:
Untitled.jpg

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow and fish habitat were top considerations when I asked Michael Gomecua at @Reefrock_oasis to design my aquascape. He created something beautiful and equally important, functional. You can find him on Instagram.

35996CDE-6D1C-4FB2-AD12-8408A18F823A.jpeg EFA2643C-8628-4BB3-BDC7-EEB94FFBBC48.jpeg 7B31C5B8-9166-48A1-9418-B91A11F10F57.jpeg 023B4C01-4887-489B-BD7A-8E119EBEC127.jpeg

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must admit I put the rocks where I can maximise surface area for frags/colonies and then put the wave maker where I think the flow will benefit the coral.

The corals growth over time means flows always needing changing or tweaking, I just add extra wave makers where needed and turn them up.

No matter where I stick the rocks, there is always detritus getting caught under/against a rock somewhere. No matter how much flow is around them it’s just gonna move the poop pile to another area.

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good percentage of my live rock does not sit on the sand. I have drilled 3 or 4 holes in the large pieces and glued in acrylic rods. These ‘legs’ allow more flow and great stability for the rock work, despite the ‘diggers’!
I am currently using “legs” as well. :)

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Andrewey_Aquascape.png

Photo by @andrewey

Deltec_Logo.png

Nothing to add to the conversation, but that’s my photo. Please attribute it correctly. :)

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing to add to the conversation, but that’s my photo. Please attribute it correctly. :)

Thank you for the input and I apologize for the oversight. The attribution has been corrected.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back