What is your tanks problem?

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your tanks #1 main problem?
Mine is blue greenish cyno. I have been going to war with it.

Would love to hear other people's issues so I don't feel like a complete failure. Lol
No education is the key and I would rather learn from others than make my own.

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
green algae on the back wall. Not hair algae, small green algae. I'm hoping fresh bulbs help with that but if it's something else I"m sure someone can tell me tomorrow when we're doing this tank move. And I've been through the cyano, the hair algae, ich, the thing that bothered me the very most of ALL of it though was diatoms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest TP is me. Can't keep my hands out of it. Lol
But last 3 weeks or more brown/green cyno.

My seahorse tank is HA. Been in the the hobby (reefing) for 5yrs and this is the 1st time I had this issue.

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was getting HA, and added extra cleanup crew, and a dual reactor with GFO and carbon. It went away. So it was one or the other or a combination of both of those.

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what did you use for your cleanup crew? I have some hermits and my snails are slowly diminishing but I've ordered more and they are on their way. Nassarius snails that is.

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits, turbo snails, and those white pointy snails mostly. Can't remember the name of them. They look like the top of an ice cream cone.

OP
OP
Devonjevon

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a few spots of RED cyno and got paranoid and started dosing vodka. Didn't read up on it enouph because i should have known that vodka can encourage cyno. I have increasing flow. Have reduced feeding to almost nothing 2 times a week pellets, increased skimming. Well red cyno died out because of vodka. It wad replaced with the big brother blue green with gray spots hard to kill cover all over my corals in 2 days cyno that didn't mind that I blasted it with a koralia. I got so desperate that yes i used chemicals. Red slime eliminator. Well the cyno laughed at me like i was chris rock at tha apollo. It didnt do anything.
Current plan of attack
I am gonna either start a fuge or bio Pellet reactor. (Wait a month)
Leave lights off for 24 hours and then aggressive water change followed by reduced light cycle.
Slowly eliminate my sand bed it's 2 years old. 2 inch deep
Remove all fish to quarantine tank and stop feeding main display.
Slowly raise my ORP to 470. ( probably will encourage another cycle if I do this)

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOLOL Chris Rock at the Apollo! Love it!!

Is that stuff the same as Chemiclean? This product worked great for me. And water changes. I started getting that color of cyano and had no idea what it was but it went quick enough with the stuff.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently was battling red cyano in my tank. I do run ecobak pellets, but they are not in an efficient reactor.(getting new one this week) But I think I have narrowed down the best line of defense. I have been using a tea leaf strainer to thaw all of my frozen foods and rinsing them thoroughly before putting it in the tank. I cut down on my feeding as well. Cut my photo period down by 2 hours, and started dosing Microbe Lift- Special Blend. Only 2 doses so far, and with the combo of the other things, it is almost completely gone.:bigsmile:

Scissor Handled Tea Infuser in Tea & Coffee Accessories | Crate&Barrel

Amazon.com: Microbe-Lift Special Blend for Home Aquariums, 16-Ounce: Pet Supplies

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also having cyano issues and going to incorporate Chris's technique as I've ordered Microbe Lift too. I've been running Ecobak for 1.5 weeks with a couple of media bags of GFO to try and keep my phates in check until the Ecobak kicks in. I can't seem to get my phates lower than .07 for more than a week after WC. This is what's causing my SPS to not have polyp extension and also having lack of color.

So phosphates and cyano right now are the causes and symptoms are lack of color and PE.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like alot of us are having cyano... I will say this, I did a single dose of chemiclean and it worked for a few months. then it came back. it si recommended that you do two doses of it to completely rid that bacteria from the tank. I plan to do that in the coming months if I cannot lick it by erasing the phosphates in my tank.

pmgaudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I am gonna chime in, even as a NOOB I have learned that if you bandage to problem it will still be there. Using a chemical to kill a bacteria wont stop it from coming back. I have a diatoms issue in my sand, everyday I get home from work and the sand is hazybrom. HAD a cyano/slime issue, treaded with chemiclean and it worked for a couple weeks. came back a little. OVERFEEDING will do that. NOT treating the problem by eliminating the cause will NOT treat the problem. I am NOT saying I know how to but I am saying that chemically treating will not help keep it away. the ROOT cause, I was told over and over, MUST be found. for me I beive, overfeeding my tank.
OH YEAH and I found Red Sea no3po4x!! It is the SINGLE most FANTASTIC NITRATE, PHOSPHATE reducer EVER! Better than VSV, better than Chemipurebag, BETTER than Carbon reactor. and it REALLY started to reduse my Diatomsand bloom!!
Must have a skimmer set up to use it. got my nitrates down from 20 to less than five in under two weeks! I still have diatoms every day, but my tank is 6 months old so.... and right NOW my TP is ammon, casue I think I lost a snail and had a small spike. ALso lost two fish to I believe ICH. I am treating with Microbelift myself, for another 6 days, then the skimmer comes back online and the NO3PO4X Gets back in gear. YOU GUYS HAVE TO TRY THIS STUFF!!!

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my 1.5 year old sps tank...I battle with lack of vibrant color and somewhat slow growth. I am still trying to identify what is causing both. But all parameters are dead nuts and all algae are at bay for now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back