What is your thing about reefing?

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first reef tank when I was 12, and I was HOOKED. Sometimes my parent would see me sitting on my bed looking at it. I still have it today, it's a Fluval 13.5 stocked with a purple firefish, a single clownfish, a cleaner shrimp, 3 astrea snails, and an emerald crab (His name is Pope Benedict XVI). What is your favourite thing about reefing.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first reef tank when I was 12, and I was HOOKED. Sometimes my parent would see me sitting on my bed looking at it. I still have it today, it's a Fluval 13.5 stocked with a purple firefish, a single clownfish, a cleaner shrimp, 3 astrea snails, and an emerald crab (His name is Pope Benedict XVI). What is your favourite thing about reefing.
I love having creatures interact. Clownfish hosting anemones, a neon goby cleaning a fish, wrasses flashing at one another, a goby and jawfish spitting sand at one another, etc.....

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started reefing when I was 10, I was looking at an early Christmas present and found this little robot. It seemed so fun to play with, I had convinced my mom to get it for me to we decided to drive to the store and buy it. Driving there I saw this big fish sign, Being the little curios kid I was I wanted to go there first. We walked in and I was surronded by the blue glow of Leds, Fish swimming everywhere, glowing corals. I felt like I was in heaven. After walking around I liked this little 10 gal and told my mom I wanted that instead of the robot and yes I was spolied when I was little. My mom couldnt say no to my puppy eyes. Its been 7 years and now I have a 75 gal tank stocked the the brim with fish and have been able to make a clown host a nem, have a nem split, sell some frags and just overall had an amazing time doing so. I learned so much these past years and couldnt be more thankful to own a piece of the ocean

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love having creatures interact. Clownfish hosting anemones, a neon goby cleaning a fish, wrasses flashing at one another, a goby and jawfish spitting sand at one another, etc.....
I love the way my cleaner shrimp cleans my fish, sometimes when i'm scraping algae he climbes on my hand and goes to town.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started reefing when I was 10, I was looking at an early Christmas present and found this little robot. It seemed so fun to play with, I had convinced my mom to get it for me to we decided to drive to the store and buy it. Driving there I saw this big fish sign, Being the little curios kid I was I wanted to go there first. We walked in and I was surronded by the blue glow of Leds, Fish swimming everywhere, glowing corals. I felt like I was in heaven. After walking around I liked this little 10 gal and told my mom I wanted that instead of the robot and yes I was spolied when I was little. My mom couldnt say no to my puppy eyes. Its been 7 years and now I have a 75 gal tank stocked the the brim with fish and have been able to make a clown host a nem, have a nem split, sell some frags and just overall had an amazing time doing so. I learned so much these past years and couldnt be more thankful to own a piece of the ocean
What did you stock the 10 gallon with?

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals colors manly. I like clowns a lot untill i got some lol they mean
But i got into fish when i was young to
Just never tried salt till now

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i love about reefing? For me its deep sea diving everyday in the islands without getting wet or worried Jaws is around the corner watching me. L.O.L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite thing about this hobby is the excitement that my husband and I share for it. We like staying up late and looking at corals for sale online and visiting our favorite fish/coral stores frequently, feeding and fish, tending to the tanks and watching the tanks and all the creatures with their personalities together. It was my husband’s dream to start this and he was happy I was into it as much as he was and now we have this awesome shared hobby, 3 tanks and our kids are into it and love learning and sharing what they learned with others. We’ve all learned so much along the way and continue to learn as we continue on. It’s that shared passion..

PAreefer710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite thing about this hobby is the excitement that my husband and I share for it. We like staying up late and looking at corals for sale online and visiting our favorite fish/coral stores frequently, feeding and fish, tending to the tanks and watching the tanks and all the creatures with their personalities together. It was my husband’s dream to start this and he was happy I was into it as much as he was and now we have this awesome shared hobby, 3 tanks and our kids are into it and love learning and sharing what they learned with others. We’ve all learned so much along the way and continue to learn as we continue on. It’s that shared passion..
Lucky, lol my wife hates how into it I am.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it's a culmination of many things.

I love the interaction with the fish. I truly love my fish. Even the most timid of my fish know me, and come out to see me when it's just me close to the tank. There's a certain level of disappointment that some fish hide from everyone else, but it's kinda nice to know that they trust me. I talk to them every day, and I'd swear they respond to the sound of my voice. Especially the hippo tang.

I've learned over time how to keep my parameters relatively stable, and keep everything from softies to acro's in the same tank. The beauty that I see in the colors, patterns and growth is a constant source of personal pride and wonder. Even though my tank is far from the most spectacular I've seen, this beautiful ecosystem that I've managed to create in my home still never ceases to amaze me.

There is a certain amount of time, knowledge and attention to detail that go into keeping a reef. Some find this arduous, but for me it's fascinating. I find myself constantly researching something that may or may not pertain to my tank. I just enjoy it. Tank maintenance is like therapy for me. I don't mind regular testing. Making water, cleaning the skimmer cup and washing filter socks, along with all of the other maintenance tasks just gives me MY time. I can truly say that there isn't a part of this hobby/lifestyle that I don't enjoy.

Lastly, when people come over and look at my tanks, ask questions, and just enjoy the beauty that I'm fortunate enough see every day, I feel about ten feet tall.

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve loved aquariums as far back as I can remember. I set Up My first saltwater tank back in 1990 during my senior year of HS and knew nothing (the LFS didn’t know much more than I did). Gradually over the years I discovered coral and I was hooked. Something about growing a personal reef appealed to me. The challenge, the constant entertainment, the fact it’s never ending with lots to learn, see, discover.

Im also haunted by waters. I’m a scuba diver and just love the ocean. Unfortunately I live in Idaho so this is my only daily “fix”. FWIW, I’m also a Christian and my reef also reminds me daily of how awesome my creator is.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back