What it's all about

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of reefers shut down their tanks due to new children coming into their lives. I respect that, I know the struggle.

I want to share something. You see I try to involve my children with the tanks.

They help me acclimate inverts, pick corals, test water, etc.

My daughters favorite corals are euphillias and gonis, she calls them dancing corals, she loves to dance.

I work out of town for week(s) on end in a remote cold location of northern Canada. It's depressing especially when you get 4 hours of daylight and it's -30c.

I got a text from my wife today, after being up for 30 hours bow due to a powerline fault on one of our production sites.

It made my day and I hope it makes yours, and if you are on the fence about breaking down the tank and leaving the hobby (I have been numerous times) I hope this helps you out, in some way.

Thank you for your time,

Ram

PS I really should have made a build thread for this tank lol :(

Resized_20190118_112624_7866.jpeg

OP
OP
RamsReef

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy calls my aquascape the "Hellen Keller"

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post. This game me a smile also. Great to see kids having an interest in tanks

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it may be a little different for those first time parents of a newborn. Its a lot of work and im sure some are afraid they cant devote enough time. Each child is different, some require all of your attention, im lucky and my son is pretty easy going so I have time to do tank stuff and he will sit and watch me (only 14 months).

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread and i am sure it varies by person and child. What makes me sad on these scenarios is that a tank could be enough work that someone could walk away from it for any reason other than major finances/relocation. I left for 20 days and had a friend top off water, swap filter socks and feed. That was it. Tank is fine. I dont have kids so i do not fully understand the need they can be, but 30m a week seems easily manageable on any schedule. Especially if it can bring the child joy :D

Great video!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back