What keeps killing my fish????

MangoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so I have been in the saltwater hobby for about half a year now, and I’m still baffled at what is killing my fish. I have a 90 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. Let me tell you my livestock and what is deceased.
Livestock:
-2 Clowns (Alive)
-3 Yellow watchman gobbies (2 dead, went down to the sump)
-Hermits (all alive)
- turbo snails (3 alive, 4 deceased; old age)
-2 cleaner shrimp (dead, hawkfish ate them)
-dragonette (alive)
-purple tang (dead, no clue how)
- Naoko Wrasse (dead, no clue)
-Royal Gramma (dead, no clue)
- Flame Hawkfish (dead, no clue)
-Blue tang (dead, no clue)
-2 Convict tangs (dead, no clue)
- sailfin tang (dead, no clue)

I also have quite a bit of corals which are on their own doing fantastic, only having lost a torch coral. My parameters are good, only thing high is my phosphates, but I’ve read that alone probably isn’t the reason. And that’s why I’ve came to here to ask, is it my phosphates? Or what on earth is happening?
Water Parameters:
Temp: 80.2
Salinity: 1.026
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm
Phosphate: 0.5ppm
PH: 8.0

Shibaken3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably some kind of disease. looks like u had lots of tangs. Tangs usually get ich and spread to other fish. Did u properly quarantine all fish? Idk how ur tank looks maybe a picture could also help.

OP
OP
MangoReef

MangoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably some kind of disease. looks like u had lots of tangs. Tangs usually get ich and spread to other fish. Did u properly quarantine all fish? Idk how ur tank looks maybe a picture could also help.
F223C38B-F3E6-4653-87CD-143D76C1832D.jpeg

corals are all over the place as I’m currently treating aiptasia. Also good amount of algae (reason why I got my tangs) they would do good for the first 2-3 days and would eat wildly and then suddenly they’d stop and be dead the next day. They’d show signs of ick and I used a bit of Polyp Lab medic, as the ick wasnt too bad, maybe a couple spots here and there. No I didnt QT, not wanting to further stress the fish, but I would acclimate of course. What still baffles me is every other fish has died in my tank except my clowns. They were the first to be introduced into my tank and are still eating and looking healthy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

corals are all over the place as I’m currently treating aiptasia. Also good amount of algae (reason why I got my tangs) they would do good for the first 2-3 days and would eat wildly and then suddenly they’d stop and be dead the next day. They’d show signs of ick and I used a bit of Polyp Lab medic, as the ick wasnt too bad, maybe a couple spots here and there. No I didnt QT, not wanting to further stress the fish, but I would acclimate of course. What still baffles me is every other fish has died in my tank except my clowns. They were the first to be introduced into my tank and are still eating and looking healthy.
good amount of algae may suggest high phosphates but shouldnt have gotten to the fish.
This does not appear to be a reef ready tank and likely you are running external filters such as canister and/or hang on power filter which may be inadequate which takes it to Nitrate- What test kits are you using ?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from faucet ?
Polyp lab medic is a peroxide salt and not really a medication and while some get past treatment as in the case of myself, rarely does it truly work suggesting you may still have parasite such as velevet or flukes present and dont know it , but im concerned again with lack of filtration and the readings you have posted- Something is not right

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did all deaths happen shortly after you acquired the fish, or did any live for an extended period? What is your acclimation process? Are your fish local purchases or mail order?

How long have you had the clownfish?

Do you have any photos of any of the fish before they died?

Any possibility of aerosols or other chemicals entering the tank?

This is very puzzling as you indicate. I also would avoid adding more fish until you can get a better idea of what has happened.

OP
OP
MangoReef

MangoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good amount of algae may suggest high phosphates but shouldnt have gotten to the fish.
This does not appear to be a reef ready tank and likely you are running external filters such as canister and/or hang on power filter which may be inadequate which takes it to Nitrate- What test kits are you using ?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from faucet ?
Polyp lab medic is a peroxide salt and not really a medication and while some get past treatment as in the case of myself, rarely does it truly work suggesting you may still have parasite such as velevet or flukes present and dont know it , but im concerned again with lack of filtration and the readings you have posted- Something is not right
I use RODI water from my LFS. I have a 20 gallon sump, with a filter sock, some rock to house bacteria, a skimmer and a chiller. I’m aware that the ick isn’t probably gone, but the ick doesn’t ever completely cover the fish, it’s just a couple spots. I’m using API testing kits.

OP
OP
MangoReef

MangoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did all deaths happen shortly after you acquired the fish, or did any live for an extended period? What is your acclimation process? Are your fish local purchases or mail order?

How long have you had the clownfish?

Do you have any photos of any of the fish before they died?

Any possibility of aerosols or other chemicals entering the tank?

This is very puzzling as you indicate. I also would avoid adding more fish until you can get a better idea of what has happened.
I’ve had the clownfish as long as I’ve had the tank, they were the fish to kickstart my cycle (cruel but I did my best to keep ammonia low) longest living fish was my hawk fish which lasted around 4 months. Then it would’ve been my Sailfin and one of my convicts which lasted around 2 weeks. Other than that none make it past the 3rd day. I leave my fish acclimating to the temp for about 20 minutes then I slowly add water to the bag to get them used to my parameters. All my fish have been LFS (3 different stores). No pictures, and I do my best nothing gets in the tank

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you quarantining fish?
Are you doing your research?
78 temp tops.
Snails, turbos, don't die at 1.5 years of old age.
Blue tang in a 90? No sir.
I think disease. Bad supplier. Not taking steps to qt. And not doing due diligence of research.
That's my guess. Reefing is not a whime to take lightly. Lots and lots of research.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

QT doesn't "further stress the fish" if done right. Plus, the alternative is they die.

OP
OP
MangoReef

MangoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I wouldn't add anything for awhile and let things settle. How long between additions?
D
Are you quarantining fish?
Are you doing your research?
78 temp tops.
Snails, turbos, don't die at 1.5 years of old age.
Blue tang in a 90? No sir.
I think disease. Bad supplier. Not taking steps to qt. And not doing due diligence of research.
That's my guess. Reefing is not a whime to take lightly. Lots and lots of research.
I research all the fish I get. Many I’ve researched days leading up to their purchase. Turbos weren’t small, they were big huge snails. My little ones are alive and well. Blue tang was small, I knew I would eventually have to give it up, just needing a tang to get rid of my algae. I didn’t quarantine my tangs as fear of stressing them out more. Disease is my guess as well, but still puzzled

OP
OP
MangoReef

MangoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT doesn't "further stress the fish" if done right. Plus, the alternative is they die.
Correct, but with me never have quarantined a fish, it’s going to be done wrong. I only QT my purple tang, and it ended up dying in my QT tank, obviously I did something wrong. Still researching on the best QT tank setup

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, but with me never have quarantined a fish, it’s going to be done wrong. I only QT my purple tang, and it ended up dying in my QT tank, obviously I did something wrong. Still researching on the best QT tank setup

Follow Jay Hemdal's guide on here but also add a biosponge with a big bottle of cycling bacteria.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Clowns have a slime coat and are better off the fish not to get ick.
They get it but, the slime coat helps them stave it off better.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I research all the fish I get. Many I’ve researched days leading up to their purchase. Turbos weren’t small, they were big huge snails. My little ones are alive and well. Blue tang was small, I knew I would eventually have to give it up, just needing a tang to get rid of my algae. I didn’t quarantine my tangs as fear of stressing them out more. Disease is my guess as well, but still puzzled
Okay, you know after a year and a half of reefing.
Good luck.
Happy reefing says my 30 years of reefing mind.

john her

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hello, so I have been in the saltwater hobby for about half a year now, and I’m still baffled at what is killing my fish. I have a 90 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. Let me tell you my livestock and what is deceased.
Livestock:
-2 Clowns (Alive)
-3 Yellow watchman gobbies (2 dead, went down to the sump)
-Hermits (all alive)
- turbo snails (3 alive, 4 deceased; old age)
-2 cleaner shrimp (dead, hawkfish ate them)
-dragonette (alive)
-purple tang (dead, no clue how)
- Naoko Wrasse (dead, no clue)
-Royal Gramma (dead, no clue)
- Flame Hawkfish (dead, no clue)
-Blue tang (dead, no clue)
-2 Convict tangs (dead, no clue)
- sailfin tang (dead, no clue)

I also have quite a bit of corals which are on their own doing fantastic, only having lost a torch coral. My parameters are good, only thing high is my phosphates, but I’ve read that alone probably isn’t the reason. And that’s why I’ve came to here to ask, is it my phosphates? Or what on earth is happening?
Water Parameters:
Temp: 80.2
Salinity: 1.026
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm
Phosphate: 0.5ppm
PH: 8.0.
Ur fish have ICH.need to QT the clowns fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do, thanks!
Here is our current quarantine protocol:

Jay

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 41 61.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.5%
Back