WHAT KIND OF ALGAE IS THIS??

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been slowly removing it with tweezers and syphon when i do my water changes. Doesnt look like green hair algae more of a brown color.

0331211908.jpg 0331211907_HDR.jpg

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get some clearer pics? Maybe not so zoomed in?

And location of this stuff?

Does it blow off easily?
What color is it?

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get some clearer pics? Maybe not so zoomed in?

And location of this stuff?

Does it blow off easily?
What color is it?
It doesnt blow off i have to pull it off with tweezers and ill take another pic when i get home tonight. Location is all over the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is calothrix. Its a slimy yet hairy/fuzzy nastiness that loosely attaches to your rock work. Air bubbles are usually trapped while escaping the algae. Calothrix is a type of algae that looks very similar to Dinos. To clean up, remove the rock and scrub, and then fine tune with a toothbrush. Let cleaner crews get the rest. It helps to use a net to collect the debris that will occur as a result of the toothbrushing.
Cleaners= Chitons, Nerite snails, cerith, large astrea and about 10 caribbean blue leg hermits

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is calothrix. Its a slimy yet hairy/fuzzy nastiness that loosely attaches to your rock work. Air bubbles are usually trapped while escaping the algae. Calothrix is a type of algae that looks very similar to Dinos. To clean up, remove the rock and scrub, and then fine tune with a toothbrush. Let cleaner crews get the rest. It helps to use a net to collect the debris that will occur as a result of the toothbrushing.
Cleaners= Chitons, Nerite snails, cerith, large astrea and about 10 caribbean blue leg hermits
Tank is 4 mos old i have 4 blue leg hermits 2 nass snails 1 trochus snail and a purple pincusion urchin. What donyou think i should add a few more crabs??

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Tank is 4 mos old i have 4 blue leg hermits 2 nass snails 1 trochus snail and a purple pincusion urchin. What donyou think i should add a few more crabs??
Nerite and cerith snails.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok ill try to get from LFS dont see. Them too often may have to get online. Any reputable sites you can reccomend.
algae barn

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just described exactly what ive been battling!

RIC13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I battled calothrix for 2-3 months. It was persistent. I took rocks out, sprayed them with hydrogen peroxide, blew off the bacteria, siphoned out any pieces, added chemi clean and still couldn’t beat that stuff…until…I made a mistake. I have a 150 g system. I was dosing vibrant and accidentally added 5 CAPFULS at one time! The calothrix disappeared and the tank looks amazing. It’s been 2 months and still all good! I don’t know how you apply my mistake to your situation, but it’s GONE!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%

Back