What kind of algae is this?

MaxSc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve had this green/brown sludge looking algae growing in my tank for a couple months. I’m not sure what kind of algae it is and i want to get it out of my tank since it’s starting to grow on my corals. Any help is appreciated thanks.

E8CA0076-3904-4895-83D5-691B896D7CFC.jpeg 4996E8E8-C4DA-4F0F-98C1-C8C41C2E7CBA.jpeg E17A2773-8AAC-4B9A-9589-8D422A461B1D.jpeg

OP
OP
MaxSc

MaxSc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really tell from the images. How old is your tank?
The rock that is covered in the algae was in my old tank for a few months and it’s been in my new tank for about 3-4 months

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to experience various algae phases over the course of the first year. Diatoms, green slime or turf, brown algae. GHA, cyano, etc... it's all part of the tank maturing process. Just focus on weekly water changes and maintaining proper parameters with a diverse cleaner crew.

OP
OP
MaxSc

MaxSc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to experience various algae phases over the course of the first year. Diatoms, green slime or turf, brown algae. GHA, cyano, etc... it's all part of the tank maturing process. Just focus on weekly water changes and maintaining proper parameters with a diverse cleaner crew.
Alright, yeah I still have much to learn about reefing. My tank is very basic I don’t have a protien skimmer, fuge, or run any chemical media. How do you go about keeping algae off of corals?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, yeah I still have much to learn about reefing. My tank is very basic I don’t have a protien skimmer, fuge, or run any chemical media. How do you go about keeping algae off of corals?
You can try to brush around them with a tooth brush and manual removal. Do you have decent test kits for weekly testing? Do you use RODI and make your own salt water for weekly water changes. This is essential for new tanks. How long has the tank been up? Do you have complete current parameters?

OP
OP
MaxSc

MaxSc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to brush around them with a tooth brush and manual removal. Do you have decent test kits for weekly testing? Do you use RODI and make your own salt water for weekly water changes. This is essential for new tanks. How long has the tank been up? Do you have complete current parameters?
Yes I use Hanna checkers and mix my own salt with an rodi unit. I use hw marinemix reefer salt and only dose alkalinity. Ph is 8.2, alk is 8, cal is 420, Phosphate is 0, nitrate and nitrite are also 0. I do 10% weekly water changes

OP
OP
MaxSc

MaxSc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did an extra water change yesterday and got a lot of the algae out. I guess the solution would be either bigger water changes or maybe I should get a protien skimmer or fuge

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I use Hanna checkers and mix my own salt with an rodi unit. I use hw marinemix reefer salt and only dose alkalinity. Ph is 8.2, alk is 8, cal is 420, Phosphate is 0, nitrate and nitrite are also 0. I do 10% weekly water changes
You don't want nitrates and phosphate at 0 as you begin to add corals. No nutrients means your corals are starving. You want nitrates at 10 and phosphate at .05 to .1. Based on pictures everything seems normal to me for a 3 month tank. As various algae develop increase your cleaner crew accordingly. Bring nutrients levels up with increased feeding for fish. Continue weekly water changes.

OP
OP
MaxSc

MaxSc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want nitrates and phosphate at 0 as you begin to add corals. No nutrients means your corals are starving. You want nitrates at 10 and phosphate at .05 to .1. Based on pictures everything seems normal to me for a 3 month tank. As various algae develop increase your cleaner crew accordingly. Bring nutrients levels up with increased feeding for fish. Continue weekly water changes.
Im a little confused on what to do since i don’t want my algae to overtake my tank but at the same time i know those nutrient levels fuel algae growth. My cleanup crew is one purple tang, 2 scarlett hermit crabs and about 25-40 dwarf nerite snails. I have a 55 gallon tank and not sure what i should add to my cleanup crew.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add some trochus and astrella snails for rock and glass cleaning. Nacarius snails clean detritus from the sand. Dose pods and phytoplankton to help build your biome. Microfauna and biodiversity are key to tank success.

OP
OP
MaxSc

MaxSc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add some trochus and astrella snails for rock and glass cleaning. Nacarius snails clean detritus from the sand. Dose pods and phytoplankton to help build your biome. Microfauna and biodiversity are key to tank success.
If i dose pods, do i need to add them on a weekly/monthly basis? I have no lfs that’s serious about saltwater… I have to buy the pods online so i can’t afford to buy them frequently without paying a hefty price. Been thinking about culturing my own pods but i don’t know how much the upkeep of it costs.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i dose pods, do i need to add them on a weekly/monthly basis? I have no lfs that’s serious about saltwater… I have to buy the pods online so i can’t afford to buy them frequently without paying a hefty price. Been thinking about culturing my own pods but i don’t know how much the upkeep of it costs.
Culturing is fine. Get a couple jars of tisbe pods and they will multiply and occupy your tank as long as conditions allow for it. No need to get them monthly. Maybe every 6 months add some more if needed.

JPCommenter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your tank doing now? I'm currently going through an algae outbreak as well (tank is 6 months old), and my algae looks similar to yours, albeit way worse. I also have 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates, and never know if I should be feeding more or less since some people say that the algae is consuming the nutrients.

OP
OP
MaxSc

MaxSc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your tank doing now? I'm currently going through an algae outbreak as well (tank is 6 months old), and my algae looks similar to yours, albeit way worse. I also have 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates, and never know if I should be feeding more or less since some people say that the algae is consuming the nutrients.
I decided to downsize my tank since i will be moving in a couple of months and I want my move to go easy and smooth. However to get that algae to go away a bit, I was doing more water changes (about 10% twice a day week), gravel vacuuming my sand to get decomposing matter out of my tank, and cleaning my filter media out in the water i’d take out of my tank during water changes. Be careful of doing too much cleaning all at once since it could do more harm than good by killing too much of your beneficial bacteria. If you have 0 across the board for those perimeters but you also have algae then it’s because those nitrates and phosphates are being sucked up by the algea. A properly sized protein skimmer for the amount of livestock we have would do good for the both of us hahaha. I’m still new to reefing and not the best at english haha. I hope I didn’t confuse you and gave you some ideas to help you out

JPCommenter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to downsize my tank since i will be moving in a couple of months and I want my move to go easy and smooth. However to get that algae to go away a bit, I was doing more water changes (about 10% twice a day week), gravel vacuuming my sand to get decomposing matter out of my tank, and cleaning my filter media out in the water i’d take out of my tank during water changes. Be careful of doing too much cleaning all at once since it could do more harm than good by killing too much of your beneficial bacteria. If you have 0 across the board for those perimeters but you also have algae then it’s because those nitrates and phosphates are being sucked up by the algea. A properly sized protein skimmer for the amount of livestock we have would do good for the both of us hahaha. I’m still new to reefing and not the best at english haha. I hope I didn’t confuse you and gave you some ideas to help you out
Ok thanks, good luck with the move! That's exactly why I bought a 20 gallon instead of a 55, because I will probably move in the next year or two. Ha I needed something manageable.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back