What kind of disease does my Fox face have?

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, can you take a look at the pic and let me know what you think my fox face may have ?

Thanks

55E924D0-8669-4EA4-B5BC-F69495909E24.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all, can you take a look at the pic and let me know what you think my fox face may have ?

Thanks

55E924D0-8669-4EA4-B5BC-F69495909E24.png
Please post a closer pic under same lighting.
Is fish eating and breathing normal?

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an anemone and a few LPS Jay, but not sure if they are stinging .. do you think they may be stings ? I also have this picture of the scopa tang with similar issues :

Attachments

• B19E9FC6-28AE-4557-A0E3-3BDD9FADA8AA.png
    B19E9FC6-28AE-4557-A0E3-3BDD9FADA8AA.png
    853.7 KB · Views: 18

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an anemone and a few LPS Jay, but not sure if they are stinging .. do you think they may be stings ? I also have this picture of the scopa tang with similar issues :
What the fish are showing is hypermelanization. This is a reaction of the skin to certain injuries. A common cause is being stung by corals or anemones. Some parasites can cause this but that is rarer. There is one called black ich that is common on tangs. Caused by a turbellarian worm under the fish’s skin, it causes black spots. Those look different though, like little black spots.

Jay

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the fish are showing is hypermelanization. This is a reaction of the skin to certain injuries. A common cause is being stung by corals or anemones. Some parasites can cause this but that is rarer. There is one called black ich that is common on tangs. Caused by a turbellarian worm under the fish’s skin, it causes black spots. Those look different though, like little black spots.

Jay
Thanks Jay, I’m assuming it is black ich because I had a few tangs and various fish that died suddenly.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay, I’m assuming it is black ich because I had a few tangs and various fish that died suddenly.

Except that the turbellarians I'm talking about cause small, distinct black spots, like pepper. This fish has larger, more diffuse spots. It is probably a parasite or infection, but I can't tell you what though.

For black ich, the best treatment is a 45 minute formalin dip at 150 ppm with good aeration. Trouble is, formalin is tough to source, and then it is toxic to people, so you need to take care when using that in a home.

Jay

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except that the turbellarians I'm talking about cause small, distinct black spots, like pepper. This fish has larger, more diffuse spots. It is probably a parasite or infection, but I can't tell you what though.

For black ich, the best treatment is a 45 minute formalin dip at 150 ppm with good aeration. Trouble is, formalin is tough to source, and then it is toxic to people, so you need to take care when using that in a home.

Jay
Thank you Jay, as always, for your feedback and advice. It’s always appreciated.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back