What kind of star is this?

krystalstarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 questions.

1Bought a starfish but forgot to ask what kind it is. Anyone know the name of this star?

2 She is always on glass or back of tank and never on the rock. (Except for when I took this photo obviously this was first time she ever stayed on rock and did not stay long)
Is this normal?

3. No clue if she is eating or not. They told me it will just eat leftover food in it own and not to worry about feeding it. This true?

EDFF7513-2627-4197-B9F7-A1A525DA9859.jpeg

OP
OP
K

krystalstarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 questions.

1Bought a starfish but forgot to ask what kind it is. Anyone know the name of this star?

2 She is always on glass or back of tank and never on the rock. (Except for when I took this photo obviously this was first time she ever stayed on rock and did not stay long)
Is this normal?

3. No clue if she is eating or not. They told me it will just eat leftover food in it own and not to worry about feeding it. This true?

EDFF7513-2627-4197-B9F7-A1A525DA9859.jpeg
Also the white spot near the middle was there when I got it. Figured it was just part of his natural pattern but should I be worried about it?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this double post thread. For anyone who finds this one instead of the other one:
It's definitely a Neoferdina sp., probably Neoferdina insolita. The store you got it from would probably have it labeled as Neoferdina cumingi. The white spot is part of the natural pattern, yes.

Unfortunately, these guys are still thought to be biofilm eaters, so while they will likely scavenge around your tank, it'll probably die within 6-13 months. You can try supplementing it with things like clams and algae pellets (which supposedly N. cumingi will take on occasion), but it likely won't meet their nutritional needs.

Personally, to try and keep it alive, I'd suggest purposefully farming Aquilonastra starfish (Asterina stars), as I've heard of some people having anecdotal, moderately long term success with biofilm eating stars (like Linckia stars) while their Aquilonastra population lasts (the biofilm eating stars typically consume Aquilonastra stars, presumably for the biofilm either inside or outside of the Aquilonastra stars' bodies). I don't know if this would help, but it's the best suggestion I've got so far for biofilm eaters.
Also, to answer your second question- similar behaviors have been shown in other, biofilm eating species. I’m not sure why they do it, but at this point it wouldn’t concern me too much.

OP
OP
K

krystalstarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this double post thread. For anyone who finds this one instead of the other one:

Also, to answer your second question- similar behaviors have been shown in other, biofilm eating species. I’m not sure why they do it, but at this point it wouldn’t concern me too much.
Thanks so much for your info. No one else has been able to ID. seems as though there are no successful report of keeping these guys alive (not sure why they are sold in that case) so I think I’ll return him as I do not have the means to care for him correctly. Thanks again for the help

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your info. No one else has been able to ID. seems as though there are no successful report of keeping these guys alive (not sure why they are sold in that case) so I think I’ll return him as I do not have the means to care for him correctly. Thanks again for the help
Unfortunately, most starfish fair similarly poorly at this point. People are working on it, but we’ve got a long way to go before starfish can really be kept successfully. Most people suggest brittle starfish (they’re not true starfish, but they’re related to them) as a replacement for actual starfish since brittle stars do well in our tanks.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 24 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 36 22.1%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 95 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back