What kind(s) of snails reproduce in reef aquariums?

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all sorts of snails in my tank and have had my trochus reproduce and make it to adulthood.

What others reproduce? I have heard that ceriths do, but I have never had it happen. I've had snails lay eggs in pattern on the glass, but I think they never hatched or made it into adulthood.

Currently I have some white eggs in my tank. I would have attached a photo, but they're really easy to describe. They're pure white, round, and irregularly placed (not in a spiral or a line, just random). They look like white dabs of paint about the size of the head of a pin or a bit larger. Almost perfectly circular, but flat like a dab of paint.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bunch of half shells that reproduced like crazy and now ... I hardly see them. I don't know what happened. However the limpets have taken over and they are everywhere.

I always try to get a few of the snails that I buy to get them to reproduce ... so far no luck on others.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stomatellas have proved very adept at spawning for me, Ive even been able to catch it on video! I’ve also had my turbos and astrea snails make it to a stage where I can see them. Unsure if any made it to adulthood or not.

OP
OP
sixline

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what you describe sounds similar to Nerite snail eggs, do you have any of those?

Yes, I have nerites and just Googled "Nerite snail eggs". It looks like you may be right. Thanks.

cooperdude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I had a 20 long I had some astreas that bred. After about 7 months there were a ton of tiny little snails on the glass. None of them ever got any bigger than a pea though because the yellow corris wrasse I had would eat them

Martin Turrubiates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all sorts of snails in my tank and have had my trochus reproduce and make it to adulthood.

What others reproduce? I have heard that ceriths do, but I have never had it happen. I've had snails lay eggs in pattern on the glass, but I think they never hatched or made it into adulthood.

Currently I have some white eggs in my tank. I would have attached a photo, but they're really easy to describe. They're pure white, round, and irregularly placed (not in a spiral or a line, just random). They look like white dabs of paint about the size of the head of a pin or a bit larger. Almost perfectly circular, but flat like a dab of paint.

I currently have turbo snails and trochus snails in my tank and I’ve had one of the two breed not sure which one the kind of look like trochus but not to sure this is what they look like they are about an 1/8” - 1/4” now I have around 40-60 if I had to guess I don’t touch the back glass so they have an area to feed on and they keep growing I also shred a little bit of seaweed that I see them feed on along with the adult snails so we will see if they make it to adult size
3D150CFE-03BD-4185-9BBD-427FB9F9803A.jpeg

Crotalus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have turbo snails and trochus snails in my tank and I’ve had one of the two breed not sure which one the kind of look like trochus but not to sure this is what they look like they are about an 1/8” - 1/4” now I have around 40-60 if I had to guess I don’t touch the back glass so they have an area to feed on and they keep growing I also shred a little bit of seaweed that I see them feed on along with the adult snails so we will see if they make it to adult size
Those are Limpets.

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6104.jpg

yupp the last month or two im having a trochus takeover! all of a sudden they are everywhere. some are getting a little bigger but havent seen any get much bigger than these pictured. its pretty cool to see though!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_6104.jpg

yupp the last month or two im having a trochus takeover! all of a sudden they are everywhere. some are getting a little bigger but havent seen any get much bigger than these pictured. its pretty cool to see though!
Those are limpets and chitons. Limpets have a pyramid shape and chitons will be flat and oval.

Martin Turrubiates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are Limpets.

I just read on them they say if they have food to eat that they are fine is this true or should they be removed? Not sure how I would have got them though all rock started dry and the coral I got has been cleaned and qt before adding it. Could they have been brought in by the snails I added they keep growing bigger what size do they get to?

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My limpets alway climb out of the tank and wait for the tide to come in.

It never does.
Just dump a bucket of saltwater or spray them with some saline solution with enough force to knock them back into the water, that might solve the cerinth snail issue. Is there a significant different between a ceding snail and a limpet? Which should I pick if I have Mexican red leg and Scarlett hermits with a starting colony of copepods and phytoplankton.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are limpets and chitons. Limpets have a pyramid shape and chitons will be flat and oval.
They look exactly like what I have evrywhere in my tank. I have never bought either of those snails though! I had a big turbo and a tiger conch but never had a pair, I believe I had bought some asteria a few years back and also nassarius a few years back and within the last 3 or 6 months or so I started noticing these everywhere.

There are some about the size of a petite pea! I decide to google and found this post! I

I do have what looks like grains of sand all over my back glass do you think that could be eggs? They are just randonly scattered. I thought maybe the wavemakers help scatted the sand onto the back glass.

Also the baby snails are definitely oval shaped. I am certain all my nassarius had died before the snails stated appearing and none of the others have an oval body so I am completely stumped!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back