What kinds and species of acropora are the easiest/hardiest

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s the easiest acros you guys have found to keep? For me it’s Red Planet, RR Vihn, and Asd milli.

Last edited:

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Slimer, Red Planet, most valida and milli species have been easiest for me. The ORA varieties are a good bet, as is anything from a local reefer that has a history of captive growth and hardiness.

Smooth skins/deep water are usually a bit more challenging to acclimate and get established. Also remember they don't take coral dips like Revive as well.

Last edited:

TheBackAndForth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A general rule is that thin branching acros are easier, while thicker, smooth skin, or plating are difficult.

That being said, there are many hard to generalize factors. I’ve found all WWC strains to be incredibly hardy, for instance

Jinko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Slimer, Red Planet, most valida and milli species have been easiest for me. The ORA varieties are a good bet, as is anything from a local reefer that has a history of captaive growth and hardiness.

Smooth skins/deep water are usually a bit more challenging to acclimate and get established. Also remember they don't take coral dips like Revive as well.
I'd agree with green slimer and valida but not red planet they can be a right pain.
Most milleporas are easy enough to grow from my experience.

Acros to stay away from as a beginner are prob smooth skins and torts.

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve found anything from Cornbread corals has died on me, but I have good luck with anything from hobbyists.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like right now I’m battling stn in a grape crush frag that’s about 55% gone and I dipped it this morning in coral rx but it’s been looking worse since. Has anyone had any luck with any medicated dips??

Goran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Accept stylo, pocillo, seriatopora, torts, green slimer. I had a lot of luck with tenuis acro as well! Like wd, orange passion, jfhw... My tank is 5 months old

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I killed a acro using coral rx a few months ago but I think I used a bit to much

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mostly seriatapora/stylopora and a single acro frag (highlighter), all dipped in Coral RX + Bayers. Never had an issue with Coral RX, but I'm about to get a package of Acro/Milli in tomorrow (pink floyd/bubblegum milli/etc) -- should I be concerned?

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what’s the easiest because for me I lose every smooth skin acro but every stag does great in my tank, so what’s the easiest acros you guys have came across and found out

You will get different answers from every aquarist I think :)
Feels like once you get a new species to survive and grow in your tank that one changes from hard to easy.

It depends on your tank and where the coral comes from. I think you'll have a better chance if you pick an Acropora that's been in an aquarium for many years for example.

/ David

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mostly seriatapora/stylopora and a single acro frag (highlighter), all dipped in Coral RX + Bayers. Never had an issue with Coral RX, but I'm about to get a package of Acro/Milli in tomorrow (pink floyd/bubblegum milli/etc) -- should I be concerned?
I've seen some Acropora(A. millepora, A. hyacinthus etc) die and some not grow in almost a year after being dipped with Coral RX. So I would be careful, maybe lower the dose to half.

Good luck.

/ David

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some Acropora(A. millepora, A. hyacinthus etc) die and some not grow in almost a year after being dipped with Coral RX. So I would be careful, maybe lower the dose to half.

Good luck.

/ David

Interesting. Here's me thinking that Bayers would have been more harsh than Coral RX, haha. Thanks!

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A general rule is that thin branching acros are easier, while thicker, smooth skin, or plating are difficult.

That being said, there are many hard to generalize factors. I’ve found all WWC strains to be incredibly hardy, for instance
I second this, every acro ive gotten from WWC (name brand, not some random ones they throw up on ebay which magically have different names sometimes) grow like weeds. The ones with history and that you can find their colony shots of should do well for you if your tank is mature and stable. The idea is a coral with a long successful history of aquaculture.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like right now I’m battling stn in a grape crush frag that’s about 55% gone and I dipped it this morning in coral rx but it’s been looking worse since. Has anyone had any luck with any medicated dips??
Just FYI coral RX is a pest dip not a medicated dip. I would not try to dip struggling corals in it as it will likely only stress them out further.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most aquacultured acros are better suited (obviously), and I agree with the statement that stags and tenuis acros tend to be pretty hardy. Millis I feel like are a mixed bag (though USUALLY easier) and deep water (smooth skinned) acros are more difficult.

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I second this, every acro ive gotten from WWC (name brand, not some random ones they throw up on ebay which magically have different names sometimes) grow like weeds. The ones with history and that you can find their colony shots of should do well for you if your tank is mature and stable. The idea is a coral with a long successful history of aquaculture.
Most of my acros from wwc are ones on the auctions, I didn’t think they were random ones so your saying the eBay auctions are not as good as the normal ones

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back