What lighting for a 40g breeder?

TryingToLearn

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2015
Messages
63
Reaction score
7
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Breeders Photon 32 above my 40 breeder and visually it looks great. I haven't grown any coral under it yet but every person I've seen who owns one has no issues with them. The 32" fixture will not fit over the tank with the included tank mounts. You have to shorten the width portion of the mounts to fit it on a 40 breeder. The fixture is around $400 I think.

I'm kind of debating on getting a hood and adding a few T5 bulbs with the LED fixture though to get the spectrum I'm looking for. The Reef Breeders fixture is more white than I was expecting.
 
I would just put a 250 watt Radium bulb over it and call it a day, but that's just me. In the grand scheme of things bulb replacement and electrical costs should be peanuts each year IMO. Heat can easily be alleviated as well. GL.
 
If it were mine, I would go with an ATI 36" T5 with 4 or 6 bulbs.
 
I run a mh/t5 combo over my 40b and I'm with it. Fins suggestion is def a great option as well. Can't go wrong with t5 or mh or both!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new