What lighting should I run??????

buzz1ightyear

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 24, 2021
Messages
13
Reaction score
30
Location
bay area
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have two lights that I own. A older kessil a360w and a ai prime 16hd. I’m trying to figure out what lighting I should run. Right now I have a hammer coral, zoas, monti and candy cane. They seem happy right now but the newest addition the hammer has only been in the tank about a week so far. All under the ai prime. I know the kessil is a much stronger light but I like the control ability of the ai being able to ramp up and down and control through the app. I want to be able to keep sps when I feel the tank is ready and don’t think the ai will be powerful enough. But for right now am I better off using one of them over the other or use both and only have the kessil on during peak hours and use the ai for ramping up down? I want to eventually get a new light all together but this is what I have for now.

Tank is a Red Sea reefer 200xl so basically a cube shape
 
You can do Kessils through an app if that's your preference. I like that manual control is also an option.

I think you'll like the Kessil better in the long run due to the extra power, but I don't think you'd be unhappy with either.
 
You can do Kessils through an app if that's your preference. I like that manual control is also an option.

I think you'll like the Kessil better in the long run due to the extra power, but I don't think you'd be unhappy with either.
This being an older kessil it can’t be controlled by an app. At least I’m pretty sure it can’t. It would need to be on a timer and just on off. I’m worried about the ai prime light not being strong enough.
 
I would suggest a 150-200 watt nicrew should allow you to grow anything you want. In comparison, the prime is 55 watts and the kessil is 90 watts.
 
A single noopsyche k7 would work. $139 - app kinda sucks but there are guys that have developed their own app which looks very promising

I am also testing the REEFB 70w lights and liking them $119. 2 would be enough for SPS eventually.
I have 2 over a 54g corner tank with sps and have par #s- app is super easy


Nicrew 100w or bigger would be fine- but need the controller

From there budget climbs and I don’t play with those.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new