What Lights for Actinic Night Look?

  • Thread starter Thread starter btkrausen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Joined
Feb 16, 2008
Messages
4,835
Reaction score
103
Location
Bardstown, KY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the night-ish look of turning on actinics and such when the main lights go off, but which bulbs should I use? The tank will be 48x36,27, and I want it bright enough to see the fish swim around. I really like how Marvins fish flash and such during this time, and would like to try to replicate it in my tank.

Any thoughts? Would VHOs be my best best for price and brightness?
 
I like the night-ish look of turning on actinics and such when the main lights go off, but which bulbs should I use? The tank will be 48x36,27, and I want it bright enough to see the fish swim around. I really like how Marvins fish flash and such during this time, and would like to try to replicate it in my tank.

Any thoughts? Would VHOs be my best best for price and brightness?

Not sure on the maxium range of depth the ReefBrites have but i put one (all blue 36") on a 46 gallon bowfront and it was an amazing blacklight show. Added Flourscent pop that he was missing from his MH. You could even tell they were on with the MH.
 
What lights are you currently using? I have used some of the Ecoxotic stunner strips before and they look good, but are overwhelmed when my regular lights are on.

CJ
 
I've always thought VHO's create the best actinic lighting and color.
I really like the 454 bulb.
 
Current USA actinic strips are quite good IMO, both the Truelumen and the new Truelumen Pro. Look pretty insane at night when on by themselves.
 
What lights are you currently using? I have used some of the Ecoxotic stunner strips before and they look good, but are overwhelmed when my regular lights are on.

CJ

Right now, I'm not using anything, but I did try two of the 12" Ecoxotic LED modules, and they were decent, but def wouldn't light up a big tank like my new one. I want something really bright to see fish, but not MH or T5 daylight bright
 
I've always thought VHO's create the best actinic lighting and color.
I really like the 454 bulb.

Yeah, I've been leaning towards installing VHOs, but I've never run them. I like that they are big bulbs, and feel like they would put out more light. However, I know T5s actually put out more light and should be more poplar, hence cheaper.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 18.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new