What makes a tank eye catching to you?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for me, there are a lot of visually pleasing tanks on here. From tanks with unique fish, or tanks filled with coral, there is nothing short of variety on here. I am wondering, what makes a tank visually pleasing to you? Is it the livestock in the tank? or is it the way they have their layout. Curious to see what everyone says!

maroonclown65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it doesn't quite matter the combination of colors, a tank is often still beautiful with green start polyps. Beauty is within the eye of the beholder. however, what doesn't help a tanks look is poorly matched rocks that are a variety of different colors and types of rock as well as too little coral. Though I know this can be hard as coral and saltwater in general is pricey

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some open space in the tank. Space keeps things from feeling overly claustrophobic, and IMO, also seems natural looking given reef heads are packed with coral/life up close, but enjoy space overhead and between other reef heads.

So having some space in the tank (between different rock structures, free swimming space at different levels in the water column) is attractive to me. And fat, happy looking fish.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colors and movement.
I'm going to use the color wheel next time to my advantage when placing coral and some colorful fish.
It's always cool when I see a tank that is just full of torches or anemones that are just moving due to the flow in the tank

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why, but some tanks just sort of pop, or sparkle. Maybe it is water clarity, but every now and then I see a pic of one and just think "wow".

To me is doesn't really seem to matter what is in that tank at all, although I think many of the ones that elicit that response are also well manicured.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ug, pests I think are inevitable unless everything is qt for 2+ months.
Absolutely. I think it comes down to how much time and motivation someone has in managing their tank. Even with qt, something usually slips through. But how quickly the Reefer does something about it is what makes the difference, imo. For instance, my 5 and 6 year old display tanks don’t have any aiptasia because I eradicate them on sight (been a few years now). But nuisance algae pops up sometimes and I manage that accordingly.

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of fish and open space between the rocks. I agree that mismatched rocks kinda look funny but lots of coral will mask any of that.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Balance of rocks with corals and negative space, placement of rocks and decoration, harmonious and contrasting shapes, structures and colors of corals.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color variety and pop, well thought out placement of things - contrast and movement. Grown in colonies showing someone took the time and effort to provide stability

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with VintageReefer quote...
Color variety and pop, well thought out placement of things - contrast and movement. Grown in colonies showing someone took the time and effort to provide stability
I also prefer few nice colonies, well care and their placement to thrieve and look stoning vs a full aquascape full of different types of tiny corals with no focal point and out of proportion within the fishes in the display. For example, I visualize my display tank as a canvas for a paint portrait, I don't buy corals by impulse. I might buy 2 or 3 frags and wait until they grow and see how they look related to shape and color. Until looking to add another new ones to complement visually, placement to grow and so on. Or like the dioramas that I do for my slot cars track, everything looking at scale and in proportion with the space of exhibition.
1709063130808232902369543839145.jpg

Last edited:

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with VintageReefer quote...

I also prefer few nice colonies, well care and their placement to thrieve and look stoning vs a full aquascape full of different types of tiny corals with no focal point and out of proportion within the fishes in the display. For example, I visualize my display tank as a canvas for a paint portrait, I don't buy corals by impulse. I might buy 2 or 3 frags and wait until they grow and see how they look related to shape and color. Until looking to add another new ones to complement visually, placement to grow and so on. Or like the dioramas that I do for my slot cars track, everything looking at scale and in proportion with the space of exhibition.
Impulse buying? Who does that?! I most certainly would never

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back