What on earth? Does this need to come out?

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this strange looking thing is underneath my condy anemone. It looked like my an enemy was trying to figure out if it could eat it… It also appears to be moving on its own… If it dropped a tentacle, does it shrink to 100th of its size? And keep moving? I’ve never seen anything like this before… Attempting to get it into an isolation box right now !! TIA! apologies using dictation and trying to remove it lol

IMG_2143.jpeg IMG_2142.jpeg IMG_2139.jpeg IMG_2134.jpeg IMG_2130.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2141.mov
    22.5 MB
OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, isolated & lights lowered so I won’t shock & cook it.. it appears to be alive, moving at anemone speed, exploring the sides of the isolation box & then the shell with what appears to be it’s tentacle tip (continuing with the anemone tentacle theme).

Nothing added to the tank in over a month- just fed frozen, turned the tank back on & spotted it minutes later!

I have read about anemone’s reproducing by dropping a polyp (it was a while ago) has anyone seen it? Is it already moving? Googling now! TIA! :)

EDIT: i read about anemone and mushroom reproduction ages ago and think it all ran together. Looks like anemones either split or require another to fertilize etc
IMG_2152.jpeg IMG_2154.jpeg IMG_2149.jpeg IMG_2155.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now who was that nem expert?

Definitely seems to be a BTA arm, though I've never heard of them reproducing in this way
Ah ok thanks! I have never seen my condy drop a tentacle but i’ve heard of the bubble tips doing it.. I wonder if that’s it and i’m seeing muscle contractions that make it appear to be moving with intention…

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read about anemone’s reproducing by dropping a polyp (it was a while ago) has anyone seen it? Is it already moving? Googling now! TIA! :)

EDIT: i read about anemone and mushroom reproduction ages ago and think it all ran together. Looks like anemones either split or require another to fertilize etc
Actually a number of different anemones can reproduce via tentacle autotomy and regeneration (a fancy way of saying they drop a tentacle that grows into a new nem), but I've never heard of that being the case for BTA's (Entacmaea quadricolor) or Condylactis species (I haven't looked into Condys much at all though yet).

This does look like a dropped tentacle to me, but if it's still moving around on its own (not just with the flow), that seems pretty unlikely to me (I dont' know enough about anemone biology to know if a tentacle from a non-regenerative species would still move around for a while or not though).

If it's not a tentacle, then my thoughts would be either a peanut worm, a spoon worm, or a ribbon worm of some variety.

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow this is all so trippy! …and PLEASE accept my apologies for my ridiculously late reply - I can’t keep up with life … but seriously first i thought oh this is DEFINITELY the peanut worm as @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal pointed out (based on the striations). but then I saw it reappear deceased :( and as the amphipod pulled it away for it’s dinner, the tip glowed green like my nem’s tentacle - although the overall blue gets WAY darker on my nem when it shrinks vs this thing’s blue...

and then this incredible orange worm showed up on the glass last week that literally appeared to split into branches in the middle and morph back into one!!! now this is clearly a ribbon worm as @ISpeakForTheSeas mentioned the original one could be! So now I’m back to the worm theory! haha

Thank you all for your help! I have had this tank just over a year now and it’s SO AMAZING to still discover new critters (also found a little orange brittle star as I changed the airstone a couple weeks ago - just so cool!). Thanks again, I appreciate this community so much! :)

Attachments

• IMG_0917.jpeg
    IMG_0917.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0918.jpeg
    IMG_0918.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0922.png
    IMG_0922.png
    2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0921.png
    IMG_0921.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0920.jpeg
    IMG_0920.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0912.jpeg
    IMG_0912.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0913.jpeg
    IMG_0913.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0914.jpeg
    IMG_0914.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0916.jpeg
    IMG_0916.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 25

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some dark red worms that look like that, @ISpeakForTheSeas mentioned that mine are probably ribbon worms as well
and then this incredible orange worm showed up on the glass last week that literally appeared to split into branches in the middle and morph back into one!!! now this is clearly a ribbon worm as @ISpeakForTheSeas mentioned the original one could be! So now I’m back to the worm theory! haha
Actually, in this case, I think the orange worm there is likely a Hair Worm:
Looks like either a hair worm (Cirratulidae) or a spaghetti worm (Terebellide) to me - if the tentacles all come out from a single point, it’s a spaghetti worm; if they come out from basically all over the body it’s a hair worm.

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't hair worms usually burrowing?
So i believe this one was a burrowing type, since it suddenly appeared on the glass, i managed to get a few pics as it was already moving back towards the sand, and that was the first and last time i saw it! Haha

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, in this case, I think the orange worm there is likely a Hair Worm:
Yeah, but they sometimes are found on the glass like this (they tend to scare people when they climb on it like this).
So many different kinds! You must have an encyclopedic memory! :) definitely agree this hair was a burrower since that was the only brief appearance i’ve seen, and it was gone again! :)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, no encyclopedic memory here - these things just start to stick after you see them enough (and read enough about them). Definitely a lot of different kinds though.

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually a number of different anemones can reproduce via tentacle autotomy and regeneration (a fancy way of saying they drop a tentacle that grows into a new nem), but I've never heard of that being the case for BTA's (Entacmaea quadricolor) or Condylactis species (I haven't looked into Condys much at all though yet).

This does look like a dropped tentacle to me, but if it's still moving around on its own (not just with the flow), that seems pretty unlikely to me (I dont' know enough about anemone biology to know if a tentacle from a non-regenerative species would still move around for a while or not though).

If it's not a tentacle, then my thoughts would be either a peanut worm, a spoon worm, or a ribbon worm of some variety.
I’m a Chef/foodie.

Are these the same types of peanut worms eaten in south east Asian countries?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back