Clear-ish Firm Blob on Live Rock

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what this is - appeared on the side of my TBS live rock. Kind of clear-ish, not sticky to the touch, more firm to the touch - just weird. I had a feather duster close by that had attached its casing to a half clam shell and this blob looked like it grew under that clam shell and then started to move out into the sand. I pulled as much as I could from the clam shell and moved the feather duster.

IMG_6814.jpg
IMG_6813.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get pics under whiter light?

Does the blob move in anyway? (Opening/closing, inflating/deflating, expanding/contracting, etc.)

Does it have any visible openings/holes in it?

OP
OP
Ghostweim

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get pics under whiter light?

Does the blob move in anyway? (Opening/closing, inflating/deflating, expanding/contracting, etc.)

Does it have any visible openings/holes in it?
I can try to get a better photo. It does not appear to move in any way - even when I pushed on it. I cannot see any visible openings or holes either.

I reached out to TBS and here is what they said: We tend to have some odd sea squirts and solitary tunicates that look like this. They are reef safe filter feeders.

I did some searching yesterday, and that was the closest thing I could find as well too - but it doesn't explain the movement to the underside of the clam shell that the feather duster connected to. The stuff on the bottom of the shell is much softer though and sort of "deflated" when I tried to remove it. I worried that it could have been part of the feather worm and that I was harming it.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can try to get a better photo. It does not appear to move in any way - even when I pushed on it. I cannot see any visible openings or holes either.

I reached out to TBS and here is what they said: We tend to have some odd sea squirts and solitary tunicates that look like this. They are reef safe filter feeders.

I did some searching yesterday, and that was the closest thing I could find as well too - but it doesn't explain the movement to the underside of the clam shell that the feather duster connected to. The stuff on the bottom of the shell is much softer though and sort of "deflated" when I tried to remove it. I worried that it could have been part of the feather worm and that I was harming it.
Yeah, a tunicate of some kind (or possibly a sponge) would be my guess as well. With the bottom of the clam shell, might that be the clam's foot?

OP
OP
Ghostweim

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, a tunicate of some kind (or possibly a sponge) would be my guess as well. With the bottom of the clam shell, might that be the clam's foot?
No - it is just a half clam shell that it came attached to from the LFS. The clam was long gone - and it wasn't a gnarly clam shell - more "pretty" and ornamental. There was never anything u under the clam shell before except for where the worm attached. I will try and get a photo of that tonight.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back