Feather duster?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I picked up some live rock yesterday, and each time I look at it, I find something new.

I saw the white thing in the picture, and I touched it with tweezers, and it was hard so I thought that it was just part of the rock. Today I was looking at it, and I thought that at the left opening of it, I saw a feather duster. Is that what it is, and is it good or bad?

And yes, I know that there is aptasia, still working to find a solution, any good would be appreciated.

20240218_152946.jpg

Last edited:

Shroom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I picked up some live rock yesterday, and each time I look at it, I find something new.

I saw the white thing in the picture, and I touched it with tweezers, and it was hard so I thought that it was just part of the rock. Today I was looking at it, and I thought that at the left opening of it, I saw a feather duster. Is that what it is, and is it good or bad?

And yes, I know that there is aptasia, still working to find a solution, any good would be appreciated.

20240218_152946.jpg
Peppermint shrimp should be your first approach IMO

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used them but Berghia Nudibranchs are supposed to be a good aptaisa remedy.
Yeah, just the only problem with those, are that they eat  only  aptaisa, at least aptasia eating species, so once the eat all of them, you gotta find them a new home.

Shroom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like them, I just worry that they will eat corals.
I think the ones that are eating coral are probably starving. They are easy to remove if you get a bad one or one that won’t eat aptasia just try again. I have one peppermint in a 25g that was full of aptasia and he ate them all.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, just the only problem with those, are that they eat  only  aptaisa, at least aptasia eating species, so once the eat all of them, you gotta find them a new home.
I doubt you could find them or catch them to "rehome" them. Maybe a turkey baster? If you could, I am sure you could pass them around. Lots of reef people have aptasia.

Shroom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt you could find them or catch them to "rehome" them. Maybe a turkey baster? If you could, I am sure you could pass them around. Lots of reef people have aptasia.
Mine will eat out of my hand but if yours is skittish, a bottle trap would easily work.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here's a pic focused on the thing.
These are fan worms who emit their fans to capture food and best way to stop them is to break off the tubes at the base or aim water flow towards them so they get nothing to eat and soon starve. While harmless, they will multiply if given the opportunity

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk paste will kill them real quick if you only have a few.
I heard
aiptasia-X makes things worse so be cautious

Jim is in a good range for control I had a small outbreak removed the rock cut out the aiptasia and then glued over they never returned ever very manual but very effective

If you have a large outbreak then definitely do your research and get multiple opinions on how to control peppermint shrimp like said above are great however even if you find one that does eat aiptasia there no guarantee he will chomp yours I’ve proven this using my local LFS so be weary

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard
aiptasia-X makes things worse so be cautious

Jim is in a good range for control I had a small outbreak removed the rock cut out the aiptasia and then glued over they never returned ever very manual but very effective

If you have a large outbreak then definitely do your research and get multiple opinions on how to control peppermint shrimp like said above are great however even if you find one that does eat aiptasia there no guarantee he will chomp yours I’ve proven this using my local LFS so be weary
Aiptasia -x works very well if used properly.

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some aiptasia hitchhike on my live rock - buggers! The rock was small enough that I removed the pieces and used F-Aiptasia on them. So far it has worked really well. I am sure more will pop up soon though... Contemplated bergia nudibranch - and will probably get some if they come back.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back