What order should I add my fish in?

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to start up my 150 5x2x2, and have come up with a stocking list (subject to change). I was wondering if some of the fish pros could help me decide on which order to add them, after a 30 day quarantine of course. Currently I was looking at this:
  • 2 Occelaris clowns - already have, so these will be the 1st and 2nd fish. Luckily they have been kind to any other fish I have added and don't seem aggressive at all in a 40b.
  • Kole tang or some bristletooth variety - Want to add reasonably early to combat any algae and I just miss having a tang. Possibly 3rd or 4th fish, however I am concerned about aggression, especially when I try adding another tang (continue reading). How likely is a kole to bother these new tank mates in this tank?
  • 4-8 Lyretail anthias - I've had one before, but never a group. I'm scared to quarantine these, as I'd probably buy them all at once. Is this possible in a 20 gallon QT? These are pretty mild-mannered but will contribute quite a bit to my bio-load, so I assume I should add these somewhere in the middle, maybe 6 months to a year in. Suggestions on qt highly appreciated on these.
  • 2-4 azure/roland's/springeri's Damsels - Awesome little flash of color and personality, however I've never attempted it in a reef. These are supposed to be pretty docile compared to the rest, but suggestions on specifics are appreciated. If these really are mild tempered, I would like to add these pretty early on, as they are very hardy and will take to food quick. Leaning towards the azures
  • Flasher wrasses and yellow coris wrasse - I don't see these causing much of a problem in the reef, although I could be wrong. Would like to add 2-6 months in, as soon as I see the pod population flourishing. (Seeding with 20% TBS rock to get a good bug variety going)
  • Pair of cardinal fish - I like how these guys hang in the water column and plan on a pair of ORA cardinals. Figured I would add these on early, same reasons as the damsels. Perhaps 3rd and 4th fish.
  • Midas blenny, lawnmower blenny - not sure on when to add these, not sure if it matters?
  • Genicanthus angel (possibly pair) - Will I see any aggression from the tangs towards these?
  • Firefish - Not sure if I will add one yet, but I did enjoy having one years ago. They are readily available so possibly one of my starter fish along with another fish in QT.
  • Yellow watchman or yasha goby - Don't think it matters much, maybe an early addition to make sure they get food before I add more aggressive eaters?
  • Yellow/Scopas/Eibli mimic tang - I plan on this being one of my last additions in fear of aggression. However I was mulling over just adding both tangs at the same time after a few additions. Not sure how that QT would go over though. Would love advice on how to keep aggression down between the two tangs, when to add them, and which would be the best candidate.
  • Leopard wrasse - Another one I'm terrified to QT. Best case I'd like to find one already on frozen food, but hypothetically if I get one through QT, when would be the best time to add one? I figured I'd save this one for one of the last fish.
Appreciate any advice or suggestions/changes!

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want to add the least aggressive first, working up to the most; adding any similarly charged fish at the same time. At a really high level, this generally means non-tangs/angels first, then tang/angels all together at the same time.

But let's get some #reefsquad eyes on this list; I'm sure there are others that can get you a more specific answer.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 ^^^ on the aggressive issues posted above. But also take into consideration the bio-load you will be adding to the tank. Best to slowly ramp up the increase of poop & pee into your tank's system. Smaller slender fish moving larger and larger works for me.

Saphire damsels. Absolutely beautiful color. I have several in my tanks. And I'm going to add more. Great citizens of a community reef of other so called peaceful fish. The only time I see any aggression is when I'm cleaning the tank. For some reason the Saphires don't like me cleaning the sand. It's kinda funny.

+1 on the Firefish. Perfect citizens in a peaceful tank. You may have problems if you have more than one. Sometimes they pair up and life is good; sometimes they don't and there is "firefish" aggression. No biting, just chasing and making life miserable for the other firefish.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 168 72.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back