What Other Shrimp Can I Add With Peppermints?

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two peppermint shrimp in a small tank on my desk. It is a 2 1/2 gallon tank with three reef rocks and a Seachen Tidal 35 filter/Seachem Matrix Carbon and Poly-Fil. Can I add a few different species shrimp into this tank? Also how would a few emerald crabs and a starfish work? Would the shrimps eat each other? Would the shrimps eat a small chocolate chip starfish? Thanks all

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That tank is too small for any starfish other than asterinas. I would probably avoid other shrimp in a tank that size, and I'd be a little concerned that the shrimp might not be able to safely hide from an emerald crab to molt. You could try a small, peaceful hermit like a zebra or scarlet, or maybe a pom-pom crab.

Got any pictures? Your scape will make a big difference here.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to do Bumblebee Shrimp (these don't actually seem to eat starfish, despite what is commonly said on the internet) and/or Aquaculture Nursery Farm's (Rusalty's) Green Lantern Shrimp. I assume they would get along without issues, but I could be wrong.

As mentioned, the only true starfish (Asteroidea) that are commonly found in the hobby that are a good size for that tank are Aquilonastra starfish (known in the hobby as Asterina starfish). That said, micro brittle stars (Ophiuroidea) could work too.

OP
OP
reeftankdude

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is too small for any starfish other than asterinas. I would probably avoid other shrimp in a tank that size, and I'd be a little concerned that the shrimp might not be able to safely hide from an emerald crab to molt. You could try a small, peaceful hermit like a zebra or scarlet, or maybe a pom-pom crab.

Got any pictures? Your scape will make a big difference here.
Here is a picture. Think I will stay with these two fun to watch shrimp. However, perhaps two scarlets, two small trochus snails, and two small fish. The Seachem Tidal 35 should be able to handle that with a weekly 1/2 gallon water change. I just ordered a smaller heater. The flow from the Seachem provides water circulation. Also need to remove salted tap water and replace with Walmart's RO. Suggestions from all appreciated and Thanks

shrimps.PNG

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch the temp with a heater that big.

They heat up to get the tank temp where they're preset to, but take too long to cool off after stopping, continuing the heat that small space.

I've cooked 2 gallons like this before underestimating what a 75 degree preset raises temp to before it fully cools off and lets the temp drop back down. I actually didn't run a heater at all with my last 5 gallon and it stayed a decent temp without it and just the light.

+1 to no starfish or emeralds. You can maybe do pom pom, green banded goby, maybe a saron shrimp and couple blue leg hermits, but scarlet cleaner isn't going to get along with those peppermints, they surprisingly take up a lot of space and you need more arches or overhangs for the peppermints.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have two peppermint shrimp in a small tank on my desk. It is a 2 1/2 gallon tank with three reef rocks and a Seachen Tidal 35 filter/Seachem Matrix Carbon and Poly-Fil. Can I add a few different species shrimp into this tank? Also how would a few emerald crabs and a starfish work? Would the shrimps eat each other? Would the shrimps eat a small chocolate chip starfish? Thanks all
sexy shrimp and fire shrimp
I had skunk cleaner, 2 coral banded and fire in with mine

Back