what pump for Icecap kalk reactor

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, Im completely new to kalk reactors and Im trying to figure out an inexpensive way to dose the kalk. It has a magnetic stirrer, so I only need this to pump water from the ATO water into the reactor. (I was going to keep my tunze ato seperate from this )

I just bought a Toms Aqua Lifter that Im planning on using but I see some people using a Kamoer X1? From what I read this wouldnt be able to push enough water through the reactor unless it was literally running most of the day. What would you guys use thats not super expensive? Think the Aqua Lifter is a good idea? All of this would be controlled with my Apex.

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres the magnetic stirrer reactor I have. Just need something to feed freshwater through this.

IceCap-KM-150-Kalk-Mixing-Reactor-Medium-99.jpg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a higher flow peristaltic pump, like the BRS 50 ml/min pump. I use the more expensive Spectrapure basic Litermeter pump that pushes around 150 ml/min. You want a measured dosing amount controlled by a timer or a controller so that you don’t exceed your evaporation rate.

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a higher flow peristaltic pump, like the BRS 50 ml/min pump. I use the more expensive Spectrapure basic Litermeter pump that pushes around 150 ml/min. You want a measured dosing amount controlled by a timer or a controller so that you don’t exceed your evaporation rate.
Are you saying that the same thing can’t be done with an aqua lifter on an apex? I was thinking of running it on an apex. If it’s not a good idea I’ll have to consider one of these more expensive options.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, I guess you can use the AquaLifter. However, I prefer the use of a peristaltic pump so that I can dose a known quantity precisely, not necessarily based on evaporation. Dosing a known quantity is not consistent using an AquaLifter pump. In other words, would you ever trust an Aqualifter as a dosing pump?

In my application, I’d be using the kalk reactor in conjunction with a calcium reactor, so precise dosing is important for my situation.

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, I guess you can use the AquaLifter. However, I prefer the use of a peristaltic pump so that I can dose a known quantity precisely, not necessarily based on evaporation. Dosing a known quantity is not consistent using an AquaLifter pump. In other words, would you ever trust an Aqualifter as a dosing pump?

In my application, I’d be using the kalk reactor in conjunction with a calcium reactor, so precise dosing is important for my situation.
I am using it with 2 part or think I am. I was under the impression that setting up kalk would be inexpensive. Can't believe I am going to drop $600 on a setup.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never use an AquaLifter for dosing purposes, especially 2 part. I use peristaltic pumps for any kind of dosing as they are positive displacement pumps, so precise volumes can be dispensed with accuracy.

Kalk can be done very inexpensively, when mixed in an ATO reservoir and run through an ATO. When we decide to complicate things by adding a kalk reactor or stirrer and run it independently of the ATO, costs will inevitably increase... especially if you want it done right IMO.

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll update the thread with whatever I decide to do. Your solution is the best for sure but I dont want to drop that cash at the moment. Im either going to try the aqualifter with the apex where I try to dose a little less than evaporation throughout the day. I'll add a line in there to stop dosing if the ph gets to a certain point. Thanks for your help @Water Dog

Im surprised no one else has chimed in on this...

jasper9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BRS 1.1ml/min pump doesn't seem to be strong enough to feed into the Icecap reactor, and the 50ml/min seems like too much. I've read people are happy using the Versa dosing pump as it's controllable but it looks to be totally out of stock everywhere. Does anyone have first hand experience with other pumps? Do any of the Kamoer's work well? It's not clear if the X1 or X1 Pro work very well for (somewhat) continuous use.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think the the 50ml/min BRS pump is too strong? I use a Litermeter basic peristaltic pump that dispenses 150 ml/min Controlled by an Apex outlet. It works great!

Use the pumps as they were meant to be used... as timed dosing pumps. Not sure why people feel the need to have continuous duty dosing for kalkwasser reactors. These aren’t calcium reactors.

jasper9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and tried it I mean. Isn't the most common use of kalk reactors to continuously drip small amounts in?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuous duty pumps weren’t a common thing in the hobby until the introduction of the Kamoer FX-STP about 3 years ago for CaRx use. Prior to that, the only option for continuous duty pumps were expensive Masterflex pumps sourced used on eBay.

Kalk dosing was either done through an ATO system based on evaporation or through a controlled intermittent dosing pump. When going independently of the ATO, people have been using timed dosing pumps. If you want to continuously drip Kalk, have at it. Is it necessary? Absolutely not.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back