What Radion Lights to get corner tank

darnoc23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a corner tank with a canopy. I'm thinking about getting some Radion lights. My tank is 21 inches deep and 30 inches wide. I have mushrooms, zoas, hammers, and torches. Should I get the XR30 or XR15, blue or pro? How many? Thanks.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xr15 would work perfect for that imo. Then if you want to run more of a blue spectrum, the blue will have more power in that spectrum. If you wanna run like a 15k or 20k spectrum get the pro, it has more power in that sort of spectrum

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xr15 would work perfect for that imo. Then if you want to run more of a blue spectrum, the blue will have more power in that spectrum. If you wanna run like a 15k or 20k spectrum get the pro, it has more power in that sort of spectrum
Thanks for clearing that up. All these years of thinking 6k was whiter/yellow light and 20k was more blue.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I know this, BairCorals didn't. It was sarcasm. He told the OP to get a Radion pro if he wanted a spectrum more in the 15 to 20K as it has more power in that range. If you wanted more par in the 15 to 20K spectrum you want the Radion Blue.
missed the sarcasm, with only 1/2 cup of coffee down.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 30" wide, I don't like the idea of a single XR15. On the other hand, the corals you listed don't need high light and won't care much about shading. And you could add another XR15 if you decide it's not enough.

OP
OP
D

darnoc23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the feedback. 2nd question, is there an acclimation process when transitioning lights?

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15k is pretty white imo. I run 15k and majority of it is in the soft white and make up the colorpower with blue and rb. 20k to 23k is pretty much straight blue and rb. So again. If you want a 15k spectrum (and lower) go pro. 20k (and higher) go blue. And since they only have softies and euphillia, I don't see the point in having 2. Getting into sps def want 2. It's a 30in wide corner tank so only the very front of the tank is 30in. The rest is going to funnel towards the back, the glass is going to reflect a lot of light from the back panels and radions are very good about dispersing light. Being a corner tank, the aquascape is probably going to be more like a volcano structure, which again, would probably only need one light.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'd still go with 2 fixtures with a 30 inch width.

But that's just my pick. Knowing that I would be stocking more corals and needing more of a light spread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

darnoc23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at some of the used Radions in the forums and they come out to be $100 less than a brand new one. Pros and cons on buying new vs used?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm looking at some of the used Radions in the forums and they come out to be $100 less than a brand new one. Pros and cons on buying new vs used?
I have bought used Radions, both XR 15's and XR 30's and have not been disappointed.
If I were setting up a new tank, I would go gen 6, maybe gen 5, but not older.
Ecotech sometimes lowers the map pricing around the black Friday, holiday sales in the fall.
Used fixtures might be going on sale around these parts about then.

OP
OP
D

darnoc23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I got an XR15 G5 Blue. I have it setup in the center of my tank. I didn't see any instructions on recommended acclimation settings and browsed some postings but got confused on all the calculations. I'm currently running the AB template although I only have LPS and shrooms. I have the acclimation set to 35% for 15 days and 50% overall. Not sure how all the calculations work and unfortunately I don't have a PAR meter. Does this sound about right to get them acclimated? After the 15 days, do I adjust the overall? Currently the corals aren't expanding as my old lights but I believe they're still acclimating or are these settings to low or high? TIA.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back