What Reefing Products Are Necessary For a New Tank? What Isn’t?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
With a vast amount of choices in reefing products, it can be very confusing for new Reefers to decide what is necessary, and what isn’t. Sometimes I see new Reefers with new tanks dosing various additives because they were told to (usually by the person selling it to them). What additive products, if any, do you think are necessary for a new tank, and what isn’t?

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Its a really broad question. Tank size will be a big factor in what you need. Pico tank you just need the tank and salt water. 100 gallons and up will require a bunch of stuff.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Its a really broad question. Tank size will be a big factor in what you need. Pico tank you just need the tank and salt water. 100 gallons and up will require a bunch of stuff.
Let’s say I just got the system running. All the basic equipment to support a reef is in place. But then I walk into the LFS and they start suggesting I add this and that. What are those additives you think are necessary at the beginning stages of a reef tank, and what is just a sales pitch?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
What are those additives you think are necessary at the beginning stages of a reef tank, and what is just a sales pitch?
None.... Water changes will take care of everything in the first few months.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
do you mean just additive products or hardware as well iso so,. I think a good properly tuned RO/DI is essential. maybe number one even.

additives, tough to say other than all and calcium

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
do you mean just additive products or hardware as well iso so,. I think a good properly tuned RO/DI is essential. maybe number one even.

additives, tough to say other than all and calcium
Either is helpful really, but it is an open pit if we include all the hardware, etc. I guess the reason for this thread is to help new Reefers get through the onslaught of additional products that get pitched to them as “magic potions” or “necessary” by their LFS or community groups.

For example, some may say that bottled bacteria is necessary, or certain aminos, etc. There are also some new Reefers that may start dosing alk and Ca immediately because they were told to do so. Just trying to help them save money and frustration.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back