What return pump for this frag tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ps2cho
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ps2cho

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 17, 2014
Messages
881
Reaction score
270
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24x24x8-Rim...435154?hash=item3f58b8a392:g:BucAAOSwEK9UBO7Y

Now its an all-in-one, which is exactly what I wanted. Something super simple. I'll use it as a coral quarantine/frag tank.

1) I am not sure what return pump would be good for this type of tank?
Should I go with something that will do a LOT of turnover and skip a main flow pump, or go with a normal ~10x turnover and use my WP-20 Jebao pump for flow?

2) Is there a skimmer to consider that would fit in the back?

It is 17.5 gal total.

What do you guys suggest?
 
For the pump, I'd go with a Cobalt MJ1200. These are the original Italian made Maxijets. The new Maxijets are pieces of crap, but these original ones were a good pump, but now sold by Cobalt.

As far as a skimmer, does a frag tank need a skimmer? I don't know. If it does, I'd look at the Tunze 9001. Don't know if it will fit in the back portion, but I have it's larger cousin, the 9004, and it's pretty good.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new