what salt mix

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been using reef crystals for a year now and just wondering
is kent salt any good to use ? i want to buy as it is 40 dollars
i alwyas buy the 200 gallons as i have few tanks ?
and if not
WHAT SALT DO U USE !!!!
how does it work for u please led me know

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what kind of corals you keep and your ALK. Softies and LPS you can use RC or IO without issues as they can take ALK swings. SPS ALK swings should be minimized so running one with ALK around 9DKH is best. Not sure parameters on Kent but I now use Fritz (switched from instant ocean) since I am now able to do 30% waterchanges without much swings in ALK.

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have lps and soft corals only that is all i have sorry for not informing well my bad :D have a
29 gallon biociube with only softis
54 gallon corner reef tank softies and lps
and have a 40 gallon with only softies hahah :)

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used regular instant ocean, reef crystals, coralife, and now i use red sea coral pro, which has become my favorite. It mixes clear in less than 20 mins, and once i started using this salt, i have coralline popping up all over 3 weeks later.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was you i'd just stick with RC or IO - If it ain't broke don't fix it! In the future when you start keeping SPS having difficulty keeping alk stable then only consider switching salts. But only because you feel your tank will benefit and not because someone else told you to.:D

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see :) the thing i want to change the salt mix from reef crystals is because my corals have not grown much all this year and my lfs told me to change salt they told me to use aquaforrest reef salt

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see :) the thing i want to change the salt mix from reef crystals is because my corals have not grown much all this year and my lfs told me to change salt they told me to use aquaforrest reef salt

I’d say there are a variety of things to look at first before changing salts. If it’s lps they tend to like a bit higher po4. Are you feeding them? What’s your No3. Lighting? What kind of filtration?

I was a huge lps guy when I started and one of the problems I had back then was too much filtration and no good place for good bioload.

What are your water params?

You can have great success with just about any salt. I also keep coming back to IO RC. I like the bags because I keep the salt mixed better with better results than bucket.

Hope this helps from a 7 year novice! Good luck!

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feed them reef roids
nitrates 10 -20 they swing
calcium 375
alk 9
dont have a mag test kit
everything ammonia phosphates and nitrites good
the thing is my hammers and frogspawns look a bit discolored but never bleached or grown for all this year
lightning is a 165 black box mainly on my display tank :) witch is the one that mainly concern me

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for filtartion a hang on back filter only to run carbon and filter floss
and a
AquaC Remora Pro Hang-On Protein Skimmer

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
375 is a bit low on the calcium, what test are you using? Corals have an easier time to pull out calcium at slightly higher concentration, if it really is at 375 and not a margin of error with the kit.

Also what kind of flow do they get, from my personal experience Euphyllia adapt to light better than flow outside their norm.

Also i use omegasea, only because i find it dissolves faster than instant ocean, saw no change in anything in my tank after change.

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
api tets kits runing 2 1350 hydor 3rd gen power heads the hammer and frogspawn aren't getting to much flow
they are on low flow they seem happy is just they have not grown much

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forbit you take your lFS advice on aquaforest.:eek:.. whenever someone give you advice just look at all the people who grow LPS with RC! the list is almost everyone. With LPS it generally comes down to ideal flow and lighting. I find they can do well in undetectable tanks (assuming its well stocked tank with high nutrient content). However, if your using GFO or some other agressive nutrient export method look into that.

Sometimes it just takes time (3-6months) of stable parameters to see a results while you tank matures..!

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all my tankks are more than a year old :) soft corals are now good colonies :) just 6 months ago gave lps a chance just stick to reef crystals

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
api tets kits runing 2 1350 hydor 3rd gen power heads the hammer and frogspawn aren't getting to much flow
they are on low flow they seem happy is just they have not grown much

Flow sounds fine :).

I would get the calcium up, get a mg test salifert are reasonably priced and test bi weekly all 3 make sure they are steady and in their normal range, when steady. Leave the system alone a month. Test weekly and record growth with photos of the base when polyps are closed. Compare at the end of the month if any changes if not:

Slowly increase the amount of light, say 1-3% a week. For 2-3 weeks then look for changes during the next month.

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see thanks any link for the test kit ??
ad will doo that ill make a 40 percent water change to pick up the levels :)

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill put pics of the tanks tomorrow when they are on with the corals maybe u guys will tell for the colors and how they look :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back