What should I be testing for?

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank set up for about 6 weeks now, and have had a fish in it for about a month. Tank was cycled with bottled bacteria. It hasn't gone through the "ugly" stage yet. No diatoms, cyno, or really any algae so far.

I stopped checking my PH, Ammonia and Nitrite 2 weeks ago because everything has been so stable. I check my Nitrates every few days (generally between 2.5 and 5). Just to keep an eye on them. In the next few months I'd like to start adding some soft corals. What types of things should I be checking for now ? OR what is important to make sure I have stable?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test Alkalinity an order of magnitude more often than anything else.

Some people will tell you that you don't need to worry about this stuff until you get corals - but I disagree. Early on, a lot of biological processes eat alkalinity - and you won't start getting coralline algae until alkalinity is in a good range and stable - and corralline algae is one of the most stabilizing organisms in a reef tank.

People will complain about it being excessive in older reef tanks (and it is) - but its the main thing that controls nuisance algae, and most of 'new tank syndrome' is really a lack of desirable consumers like Coralline (and corals, etc).

I monitor temp, and pH. I test phosphate about once a week. Nitrate maybe twice a month. Calcium and magnesium rarely.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For corals, you’ll want to test calcium,alkalinity and magnesium. You’ll test alkalinity every day for a week to get a baseline of how much to dose per day, then once every few days to make sure consumption isn’t changing. You can start that now. You shouldn’t need to dose calcium until you actually start adding corals, but you can start testing for it using the same procedure.

Its also very possible that your tank is getting everything it needs at this point through water changes, so no dosing is required at all to start.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
test Alkalinity an order of magnitude more often than anything else.

Some people will tell you that you don't need to worry about this stuff until you get corals - but I disagree. Early on, a lot of biological processes eat alkalinity - and you won't start getting coralline algae until alkalinity is in a good range and stable - and corralline algae is one of the most stabilizing organisms in a reef tank.

People will complain about it being excessive in older reef tanks (and it is) - but its the main thing that controls nuisance algae, and most of 'new tank syndrome' is really a lack of desirable consumers like Coralline (and corals, etc).

I monitor temp, and pH. I test phosphate about once a week. Nitrate maybe twice a month. Calcium and magnesium rarely.
This is helpful info. Any thoughts on the Coralline algae boosters that are available?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is helpful info. Any thoughts on the Coralline algae boosters that are available?
The best way to boost coralline is to have good water flow, good water quality, stable alkalinity in the 7-9 dkH range, and have corraline in the tank. Sources of corraline are basically live rock that already is encrusted, or Arc Reef Helix/Fusion, which is coralline spores.

Some people will tell you that you can seed it as a hitchiker on snail shells ,frag plugs, etc, and that is of course true - but IMO it takes way to too long.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sources of corraline are basically live rock that already is encrusted, or Arc Reef Helix/Fusion, which is coralline spores.
My tank is pretty sparse at the moment. I use Caribsea live sand and their life rock (which I'm pretty sure doesn;t actually have any algae, just colored), Just a clownfish and conch for livestock. Not planning on getting anything else for a while yet while I figure things out. Was looking at the ARC Helix, so I'll grab some of that. Thanks for the help.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good practice to start testing ca/alk/mg, but regular water changes will suffice for awhile with just a few frags/corals.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is pretty sparse at the moment. I use Caribsea live sand and their life rock (which I'm pretty sure doesn;t actually have any algae, just colored), Just a clownfish and conch for livestock. Not planning on getting anything else for a while yet while I figure things out. Was looking at the ARC Helix, so I'll grab some of that. Thanks for the help.

One other observation; can we assume the salinity is stable? Do you have an ATO, or test regularly? Otherwise, I think you are on the correct course. For coralline a small piece of real live rock or a snail or crab with coralline on their shell will provide the seed you need.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good practice to start testing ca/alk/mg, but regular water changes will suffice for awhile with just a few frags/corals.
I see Salifert has these in a Combo pack on Amazon. Just picked them up. No corals yet, but want to make sure I understand water chemistry in my tank before I start chucking things in there.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can we assume the salinity is stable? Do you have an ATO, or test regularly?
Yes, Salinity is stable. My tank evaporates quite a bit of water, so I got an ATO very shortly after setting up the tank. I also have a refractometer and check salinty when I do my weekly water changes.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are doing what few actually do, take things slow! Good job!

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are doing what few actually do, take things slow! Good job!
It's hard to go slow, I get the excitement. I started following this forum a few weeks before I started my tank. I noticed two things.
1. The most common advice for new reefers is to go slow.
2. About 90% of "emergency" threads, are new reefers who are rushing into things with little forethought about what they are doing. I bought my tank to have a peaceful and relaxing hobby. The emergency threads seem anything but relaxing. Really trying to take the go slow thing to heart so I don't have as many stressful situations. Would love for my tank to be one that is up and running successfully for a long time.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back