Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the type I use
1694613254129.png

Do you have a link where to find those? I have checked out my HD and Lowes and found none!!

I would absolutely use those if I had them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do nothing..its a source of Iron...Iron=good......way way back - we used to put steel wool in our outside filters for a couple weeks..man, would the macro algae grow after that ! and everything looked better in the tank also. FWIW

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do nothing..its a source of Iron...Iron=good......way way back - we used to put steel wool in our outside filters for a couple weeks..man, would the macro algae grow after that ! and everything looked better in the tank also. FWIW

What about the other (noniron) metals in it?

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All stainless will eventually rust. The question is will it rust in the lifetime of the tank. Sure there are several grades of stainless that will work fine in a saltwater tank for a certain time frame. I only mentioned the titanium ones since the OP was looking at hose clamps and they are comparable in cost to the stainless steel. I personally have never used metal hose clamps on equipment internal to the sump. I use the plastic snap rings that many previous posters have shown. Generally speaking, we are dealing with relatively very small flow rates and pressures in our systems so the plastic ones work just fine.

The only place I have metal hose clamps in my system is the hoses to my external return pump, it would be a very bad day if that hose popped off lol.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need to use a hose clamp in saltwater you can order these titanium ones. They arent expensive and will never rust. Even stainless will eventually rust.

I’ve been using these for 5+ years, no rust, under water.

I don’t think we can compare stainless steel above water (deck screws) to below water (hose clamps). I use stainless steel screws and other parts around my tank above water and they don’t rust. But I got the highest quality stainless steel hose clamps for my return (underwater) and they rusted in under a month.

IMO if you want metal, go with 100% titanium. Otherwise go with plastic.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most ACE Hardwares, carry the plastic clamps. I use two on 1" and anything above. Use Pliers to get one more click on tightening. When using two hose clamps, offset them, when installing.

findingAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the herbie style plastic clamps theyre really strong, but on the SS front i think the rusting is not 316, I had a boat a few years back that lived on the water year round with a SS plate, half submerged half out and it never rusted.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ran freshwater for 5 years and then got converted to salt this April. Put a pvc "riser" on your return pump. This gets the clamp up above any water spray, greatly reduces the chance of it rusting. That's just a Stainless Ace Hardware hose clamp.

As for your cabinet hinges, spray monthly or every other month with WD-40. The primary ingredient in wd-40 is Fish Oil. Use some caution not to over spray, the Red Straw comes in handy for this, or spray on a cloth and wipe your hinges, though this will only get rust protection on the outside surface and not into the hinges.

20230915_054446[1].jpg

20230915_054446[1].jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put some steel wool in your sump , Randy Dandy ....that's how we did things way back when -before there were "reef chemistry" gurus .. And BTW : your nemesis - Ken Howery gave me that idea - back in 1976..:p

Using iron of unknown purity is like using tap water, sometimes things work out, and sometimes not.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Original WD-40, did have Fish Oil in it. I remember the smell when I was a kid, but it’s not been used in years. Also the Rust Oleum Primer, and some of their other paints had Fish Oil in them. You could smell it when opening a new can, and could see it in the paint surface. BTW, Bathroom Paint, had a Slight Trace of Mercury in it. That’s why mold wouldn’t grow on it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back