What should I do with my tank(s)

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after my issues with my system and all my SPS deaths, i've been thinking where I should go from here. It is pretty discouraging to lose so many corals that were grown from small frags. Part of me wants to just toss in the towel on corals completely, but i've resisted making any drastic decisions for now.

The one thing I was thinking of doing was converting my 275 to be mostly FO with just some shrooms and zoas. perhaps only lighting each side up with one MH to cut down on some electrical costs. probably could do away with my closed loop as well. it seems pretty lame to have such a large tank that would only have those corals, but it sure would be care free.

I'd probably still keep my 75g up and running for LPS, but i'm not sure.

Really no point to this post other than to 'think out loud' with it. any one have some suggestions for what I could do with the 275 that is really laid back? If I didn't like the tangs and angel that I have as much as I do, i'd probably downsize, but I really can't go smaller with the fish I have.

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my dream tanks would be a non-photosynthetic. I have been on the edge of pulling the trigger for about two years now. I am real close to doing it myself. Gonna start looking for a syringe pump. To me there is no more spectacular looking tank.

ReeferGoalie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have a nice, easy softie tank. Zoanthids and Ricordia make for an easy to maintain display.

MSU Fan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Bill. I realize your not making any decisions, which is smart, but that is so sad all that you have dealt with.

Long ago, there was a softie tank of the month. Sweet tank, big leathers, gorgs, lots of cool softies like shrooms and whatnot. You could drop your lighting much, much lower than you have it now and really save some money. Even the flow gets cut down too. Worth checking out...maybe it can help you decide.

OP
OP
siropa

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
msu, that is the kind of setup I was thinking of. the biggest downside I can think of is if in a year or something I decided to try some sps again. then i've got liverock covered in shrooms, zoas etc and those things are so darn hard to really remove.

i'm going to give it a couple of months to weigh my options probably. partly because if I switch over, i'm going to do a full rock restack.

kesslerkid01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill
you could turn it into a salt water swiming pool for the kids
J/K it is such a shame for how great your tank was

OP
OP
siropa

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be at world wide corals in a couple of weeks and i'm hoping seeing that place will give me some ideas on where to go with it, if anywhere. I might just leave the big tank as a FO (with the remaining corals) for awhile. I've taken down most of the other things I had running downstairs, so it is pretty much only the 2 tanks right now.

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, seeing your pics and build thread inpired me to make a much bigger investment in my tank and where I'd like to be with it. I hope that after a little more consideration you opt to make it even nicer than it was. As with life, there's bound to be setbacks, and each one is an opportunity to learn something and make the future better. Although not to the same level, I feel your pain after my little heater fiasco and associated losses. Best of luck on whatever you decide...

OP
OP
siropa

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
triggers. ha! as much as you like them, I dislike them :)

jhildebrand, glad I gave you some inspiration. I sure did learn something from all of that: keep doing what is working and sure don't think the 'grass is greener'. and stay the hell away from zeo.

i'd grown so many large colonies from tiny frags that it is down right painful to lose them. i'm pulling out the rest of the dead stuff today. if I can get the acrylic clean today, i'll take a new full tank shot. my tank walls are starting to look like freds and I can't see in very well. really going to be painful to get that off the acrylic.

PrisonCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a breather and re-visit why you love the hobby in the first place. Everyone has a reason, and it sounds like you've lost yours due to the frustration. I can't really relate to losing those frag -> full colony corals, but I imagine it is brutal.

Maybe let the tank 'go wild' a bit for the summer and then when winter / fall comes you can re-visit the whole setup and see what you want to do with it.

Or... SHARK TANK.

OP
OP
siropa

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love a shark tank, but no way would I do one unless it was like 4000g or something.

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear the frustration Bill. I too am going through the same thing. Not as bad as you but I think my reason is due to my own fault. I need to bite the bullet and just get things done and then I should be good to go. Anywho, I digress.....I think a FO tank of that size would be awesome. Some shrooms and the sort would be awesome. I am sure you'll figure it out.

Eric

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back