What should I do?

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this new forum kind of got me itching again. Its nice to have that feeling again.

Anywho the one thing I was going to do was use two 29 gallon tanks. One for RO water and one for SW. Well right now I have a 55 gallon drum I use for RO water and I recently received another one from work. I was thinking of building a stacking station. The top barrel will be the RO water and the bottom barrel would be the SW. With a mixing pump in it set to turn on every hour or so and then have it plumbed into the Sump. A Couple of turns of a couple of valves and I could drain and fill for an easy water change.

Was going to do the same thing with the 29's but just wondering if it would be easier and more sense to use the 55 gallon drums just so the RO/DI unit doesn't need to kick in and off to fill the 29 all the time.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Eric

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use brutes to do my saltwater, RO and kalk. I also use a rolling brute to siphon into for the WC. once that is full, I roll it as close to the sink as I can and use a pump to get it to the drain. I have a tube that runs on my ceiling from my utility room (where the sink and buckets are) to the sump around 50' or so away. I use a mag pump to pump over the salt water. also use the pump to move RO to my kalk bucket in the fishroom. I refill the salt bucket with ro via gravity.

hope that made sense. it looks simplier in operation than it is to describe it. it really makes it fast and easy to move water around. the biggest hassle for me is not having a drain in the fishroom itself.

OP
OP
F

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup it makes sense to me. I think in the long run I would be better of with the 55 drums. Less to do which means more likely to do something! LOL. Not to mention when the 240 is in the wall I will want that for sure!!!!

Eric

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i keep 50gal of ro water always on hand and i dont mix till the day befor. id do the 55's! its better to have to much than not enough. plus it should save your rodi unit.

MSU Fan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree to stick with the 55's. they work well. I always have 50g of RO water ready, and usually atleast 25g of SW ready at anytime. One less thing to worry about.

condiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I use for mine is 55s I have various pipes that go to the two tanks upstairs and one to the frag system so all I have to do is mix then I can turn on various valves to go to a particular tank. No carrying buckets for me. I can even pump it from the basement up to my truck if needed as well.

PrisonCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mixing stations I've seen threads about seem pretty nice. Let gravity do the work wherever you can.

Bill, that rolling brute sounds like a great idea!

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one more benefit of the rolling brute is that I know exactly how much SW to remove during a wc. since I use an identical brute for my SW mixing tub, I just siphon out up to that same amount for the WC.

OP
OP
F

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be going with the 55's. I will have the RO one on top and let let it gravity feed into the SW tank. Put a nice smaller cheap pump in the bottom for mixing and to pump up to the Sump. Thinking I will make a mark on the sump glass open up the valve that I already have on that side to drain out the "Dirty" salt water and then just flip another valve to pump the Fresh SW back into the sump. Easy and cheap and fast. Which in return I think will help one to do more water changes!

If anyone has any pics that would be awesome too.
Eric

OP
OP
F

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the RO will last quite a while as long as nothing else gets into the container. However, with top offs and so forth I personally don't think I will need to worry about it.

Eric

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back