What size return pump??

  • Thread starter Thread starter SpikesReef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SpikesReef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 4, 2015
Messages
228
Reaction score
84
Location
Connecticut
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 1" pvc bean animal setup. The drop is about 42". I have two questions...
1- how do I find out how much the plumbing can handle?

2- am I good with a return pump as long as the gph is less that the max amount of flow that the overflow can handle?

Any insight is much appreciated!
 
Keep in mind that with a bean animal the full siphon can and will pull tremendous amounts of water. Just buy a return pump rated for the flow of the pipe, you will have headloss from the return.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new