What size sump?

T33BLACK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 135 gallon reef tank been going for about 1 year now with a trigger sapphire 26 sump that I had on my previous tank so decided to just use it until I had enough saved for a bigger sump. Was thinking of upgrading my sump now to something larger and maybe more "appropriately sized" for my tank. Just wondering if I'll really see any benefit from it as so far the tank is doing fine. In the sump I have a protein skimmer in the first section with the filter sock then a refugium in the middle which seems to be doing quite well so far. Just wondering if I'll encounter any problems in the future without going to a larger sump now. I should mention the sump does hold enough water if the power goes out so that's not an issue.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t be an issue. Depending on size, a benefit could be the extra working area, extra room for equipment, and slightly more water.

What’s your need for a larger sump?

OP
OP
T33BLACK

T33BLACK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t be an issue. Depending on size, a benefit could be the extra working area, extra room for equipment, and slightly more water.

What’s your need for a larger sump?
Just thought maybe a bigger fuge would be beneficial and having more water volume

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not having issues I wouldn't change anything. Unless there's a reason you need the additional area.

OP
OP
T33BLACK

T33BLACK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also toying with the idea if i keep the sump of moving the refugium to the first section and getting rid of the filter sock? Any thoughts on that?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't run without a sock.

OP
OP
T33BLACK

T33BLACK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't run without a sock.
Yea I figured as much. Even with the sock should I move the fuge to the first section? I just feel it would grow more before the skimmer rather than after? Mine grows alage ok in the middle but just not really that fast. Think it would get more nutrients in the first section?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer isn't going to get everything. How are your nitrates?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually around 0.25
Using a decent light for chaeto and running the light at night? Is the chaeto filling up the area you have for it?

OP
OP
T33BLACK

T33BLACK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a decent light for chaeto and running the light at night? Is the chaeto filling up the area you have for it?
I do run the light at night. It's a keesil not sure which one of the top of my head lol.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like everything is running good for you. I'd keep what you've got going. If itching to spend money there are plenty of ways to do so.

Egyptian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 135 gallon reef tank been going for about 1 year now with a trigger sapphire 26 sump that I had on my previous tank so decided to just use it until I had enough saved for a bigger sump. Was thinking of upgrading my sump now to something larger and maybe more "appropriately sized" for my tank. Just wondering if I'll really see any benefit from it as so far the tank is doing fine. In the sump I have a protein skimmer in the first section with the filter sock then a refugium in the middle which seems to be doing quite well so far. Just wondering if I'll encounter any problems in the future without going to a larger sump now. I should mention the sump does hold enough water if the power goes out so that's not an issue.

Egyptian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a similar situation. I am limited by the flow through my sump. I replace filter socks very often. A new sump would be less maintenance. I'm also half convincing myself I need a new one lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back