what size tank does a mantis need to survive?

Lukejstn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats the question. upgrading my tank and trying to decide what to do with the old one.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would depend on the species you plan to keep but overall not too large in the sense that the mantis needs a ton of space. It will likely stick around its cave all the time even in a larger tank. Water quality may be an issue in a small tank as they are messy carnivores and IME any tank under 10g is tough to keep water quality stable, so my suggestion would be 20 and up. I kept a peacock mantis in a 30g tank without issues.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know what type of mantis you would like to keep and it will help with recommending the requirements. What size tank do you have!

OP
OP
L

Lukejstn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know what type of mantis you would like to keep and it will help with recommending the requirements. What size tank do you have!

Nice buck!! were u able to harvest that guy? It's just a small 5 gallon. I don't really have a proper way of putting a lid on it so i think I'm just going to take it to work and put it on my desk.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice buck!! were u able to harvest that guy? It's just a small 5 gallon. I don't really have a proper way of putting a lid on it so i think I'm just going to take it to work and put it on my desk.

Yes thanks!

I would go with a smaller mantis like N. wennerae for that size tank. Hardy and easy to find.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What mantis can I put in a 15x15x20 tank ?
G. chiragra and smaller.

What praying mantis can I have in a 15x15x20 viv?

If you mean literally mantids in a vivarium; don't recommend any mantids in glass (terrible ventilation, need sides lined with something to climb up), but its large enough to house pretty much any mantid thats actually legal to own. (in the US and Canada exotic mantids are poorly regulated, even orchids require a PPQ-526 permit to own but hobbyist don't realize that and APHIS isn't really on top of things.) Idk what UK's regulations is like but I was under the impression exotics are less restricted there.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the largest mantis shrimp varieties is the peacock, and I kept on in a 28g nano cube all in one for many years and that was plenty of space for a large cave, and swimming space. Yes they swim. And they also explore. They are very intelligent creatures and keep busy

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back