What size tank is too small?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That

That’s awesome! Now I have to try it. How are you lighting it?
I bought a par 38 Coral compulsion led bulb, which was part of the contest rules that it had to be a led par bulb. I shocked myself how good it turned out considering how little $ I spent on the whole set up.

mr. lovestrong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is more than enough evidence to suggest it can be done, but, how much time and effort do you want to dedicate? i started with a 5 gallon cube, tried a 7 gallon cube, a 10 gallon cube, a 15 gallon rectangle, and i keep on upgrading to larger and larger tanks for a few reasons. the corals grow, the water parameters are easier to maintain in a larger tank, and my little fishy friends arent as cramped lol.

EHerbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen so.e beautiful pico reefs in aquariums, vases, etc. You can do it with heavy weekly feedings and a 100% water change the next day. There's a lot of info online regarding these tiny reefs. I know because I've been thinking of starting one myself. Check out this link and do some online research. Good luck!!!

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFA02A1B-619F-4BE7-A126-404F6B1EF544.jpeg

I’m about to try my hand at a 2.6 gallon Fluval Spec III as a pico reef.

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B4CD48CB-508A-4248-A7D0-DFE7DDD16BEE.jpeg
Just finished gluing some rock together for the mini reef. Getting excited about the whole process. I’ll start cycling it once the glue has dried.

TonyNguyen

Unkown
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just give it a try! The only thing I notice with the Pico reef is that you got very little room to work with and every coral have to be planned accordingly to the small space you got. The end results is the challenge of having a mini reef! Good luck and have fun.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope Brandon chimes in, he is the pico man.

Just search the members tank section for build threads (like mine!) Also check out nano-reef they have a contest for creative pico reef ideas.

Honestly picos are pretty easy. If you have a tight fitting lid then don't need an ATO. There are just some golden rules that make it easier. Like no fish (makes it so much easier in 3g and under pico), 100% weekly WC which is only 3 gallons and takes 10 min.

I love my pico. It's the only reason I am still in the hobby. I consider getting a larger tank downgrading! With my previous SPS only 14g biocube I trimmed corals every couple weeks and gave the frags away. Everyone was happy! A fun bonsai sort of thing.

Last edited:

Killamanjaro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have limited experience, the smallest I'd say is a 10G.

Although I am building up a 20G LPS reef right now to keep my reefing itch at bay and planning a 180G for the future.

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was a standard 5 gallon and it has been working well, definitely doable.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are new pics from my 3g. There have been examples of 1g and up jars and tanks posted, all with stony corals including SPS that have been running for years, so I think your question is pretty much answered, at least for a reef tank 1 gallon and up has been proven that's it's able to grow coral over many years with a minimum of equipment and money given one performs the same amount of research that they would do with any size reef tank. You can't argue results despite those that will try!

IMG_2782.JPG
IMG_2784.JPG
IMG_2786.JPG
IMG_2788.JPG

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about this. Starting off with a marine pico rates as animal abuse to me if the OP is a rank beginner in saltwater. There is such a long and difficult learning curve to be successful without the proper knowledge and equipment. I recommend as minimum is something like a MI 20 gallon all-in-one nano. At least it can have a heater, pump, filter and light etc. Even can add a skimmer and, believe it or not, a nano chiller at a later date. This size tank can be a complete successful reef with just normal effort while he learns how to keep the water so the fish, snails & coral has a chance to live a happy life. I'm surprised on how many here said "Go for it". Really people... have a heart. Leave pico for the ones who have a few years under their belt. Plus that is a good LFS to go to for I think they gave you good advice.

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about this. Starting off with a marine pico rates as animal abuse to me if the OP is a rank beginner in saltwater. There is such a long and difficult learning curve to be successful without the proper knowledge and equipment. I recommend as minimum is something like a MI 20 gallon all-in-one nano. At least it can have a heater, pump, filter and light etc. Even can add a skimmer and, believe it or not, a nano chiller at a later date. This size tank can be a complete successful reef with just normal effort while he learns how to keep the water so the fish, snails & coral has a chance to live a happy life. I'm surprised on how many here said "Go for it". Really people... have a heart. Leave pico for the who have a few years under their belt. Plus that is a good LFS to go to I think they gave you good advice.

My 1st modern salt tank was a biocube 14. Aka a 10g AIO. I had the least losses of any tank I ever had in that system. I wasn’t tempted to over stock with that size. I also stated with softies and some lps and gave them away/traded for other corals eventually ending with sps tank.

Now my gorgeous 120 while amazing - by amount of livestock loss was far greater.

Over 2 year I lost 0 fish, 1 shrimp in acclimation, and I think 2 sps when I made a mistake. I do know I lost a few snails but I can’t remember those.

I was just over at friends and saw 3 corals there were frags I gave him 5 years ago.

Some great pico guides out there and they are simple, but don’t try and bend the rules to start.

We are keeping animals from coral reefs in our living rooms or basements. I could see an argument that 90% of people entering the hobby are going to subject the animals to cruel conditions or if this hobby can even not be curel.

Considering most pico have no fish at least that would seem less cruel than any aquarium with a tang in it.

OP
OP
Cmonicarl

Cmonicarl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a picture of the "tank" so far. Not much to look at but that's the idea, start something and build on it. Keep in mind I know very little about this hobby but the one thing I do know is that you have to have patience, patience, patience. Don't rush a reef.
20180328_055154.jpg
20180328_055144.jpg

kruley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 6-gallon tank for two years. I had one clownfish, a cleaner shrimp, lots of soft corals and CUC. I loved my little tank! The only reason I don't still have it up and running is my son and I combined forces into a 90-gallon tank. However, I still have my little tank in storage and might start it up again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back