What skimmer for my tank

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 breeder with a 10g sump. What skimmer would be good at around the 7-8in water level? That’s the max I can raise the level in my sump

OP
OP
J

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that fits within your budget and the space. Reef Octopus and Bubble Magus are two popular brands that come to mind.
Yeah I’ve looked into some. There’s just mix reviews about water height. Manufacturer will say 9+ but users say 7-8, so was asking here to see what others think

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve looked into some. There’s just mix reviews about water height. Manufacturer will say 9+ but users say 7-8, so was asking here to see what others think
I run my Nyos Quantum 160 at roughly 8.5" height. All skimmers have adjustments for water levels (some more than others), and some are more finicky than others. I love my Nyos - and it's absolutely fantastic - but it's also a bit more money than the ones I mentioned. Take what the manufacturer says with a grain of salt - there's usually a bit of "wiggle" room, ie: ±0.5" or so.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that fits within your budget and the space. Reef Octopus and Bubble Magus are two popular brands that come to mind.
Yep... I have a Bubble Magnus Curve 7 on my 90. It is easy to cause it to overflow, but if I'm not messing around with the tank, it does a great job, is inexpensive, and doesn't take up much room. I had to put it in about 8" of water for it to work well. You might even get away with a Curve 5. Reef Octo internal skimmers are very good skimmers for the money. They are less fussy and easier to adjust than the Bubble Magnus, better built, and maybe work a little better. The eSsence S-130 would be a decent skimmer for your tank.

OP
OP
J

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep... I have a Bubble Magnus Curve 7 on my 90. It is easy to cause it to overflow, but if I'm not messing around with the tank, it does a great job, is inexpensive, and doesn't take up much room. I had to put it in about 8" of water for it to work well. You might even get away with a Curve 5. Reef Octo internal skimmers are very good skimmers for the money. They are less fussy and easier to adjust than the Bubble Magnus, better built, and maybe work a little better. The eSsence S-130 would be a decent skimmer for your tank.
Thank you, will for sure look into the ones you mentioned. Currently running a tunze 9001 on it lolol

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 142 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.0%
Back