What T5 bulbs are best for viewing?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok experienced lighting gurus, listen up!

I need some help deciding on what bulbs look the best for viewing my tank. Im running a MH that is doing all the full spectrum lighting and heavy par lifting. I want to know what you find the best 4 bulb combo for viewing before and after my halide is on. Right now im running 2 b+ and 2 c+ because thats what i was running before i went to the hybrid halide fixture. This seems like a great combo for growth and color but im wondering if i could get a better combo for viewing the tank. Let me know what you think!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok experienced lighting gurus, listen up!

I need some help deciding on what bulbs look the best for viewing my tank. Im running a MH that is doing all the full spectrum lighting and heavy par lifting. I want to know what you find the best 4 bulb combo for viewing before and after my halide is on. Right now im running 2 b+ and 2 c+ because thats what i was running before i went to the hybrid halide fixture. This seems like a great combo for growth and color but im wondering if i could get a better combo for viewing the tank. Let me know what you think!
I'd keep your 2 b +s in your mix.

Try one KZ Genii bulb in your mix replacing one of your C+ bulbs.
You'll love the Gen ii bulb.

If you want more actinic ( UV Pop) get a Giesemann Super Actinic T5 repacing the other C +

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd keep your 2 b +s in your mix.

Try one KZ Genii bulb in your mix replacing one of your C+ bulbs.
You'll love the Gen ii bulb.

If you want more actinic ( UV Pop) get a Giesemann Super Actinic T5 repacing the other C +

Do you prefer KZ and Giesemann bulbs over most of the ATI bulbs? KZ are certainly more expensive but thats really not an issue here, although ATI bulbs went on sale today...

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you prefer KZ and Giesemann bulbs over most of the ATI bulbs? KZ are certainly more expensive but thats really not an issue here, although ATI bulbs went on sale today...

Well,
That KZ Gen ii is the best full daylight bulb I've ever used. There's some kind of magic with its color spectrum with no washout.

For a true blueish Acitinc look those G-Manns Super Actinic bulbs are better than ATI's True actinic bulbs.

JMO... :)

Good Luck!!

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,
That KZ Gen ii is the best full daylight bulb I've ever used. There's some kind of magic with its color spectrum with no washout.

For a true blueish Acitinc look those G-Manns Super Actinic bulbs are better than ATI's True actinic bulbs.

JMO... :)

Good Luck!!
Going to jump in quick, I might have to try this out because I love my ati actinic bulbs! Thanks for the input!

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those of you running actinic bulbs. Is there anyway to describe them? Ive never seen one im person...

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took this picture today. Actinic is the 2nd to last.
-d

Attachments

• 20210423_132153.jpg
    20210423_132153.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 88

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you running actinic bulbs. Is there anyway to describe them? Ive never seen one im person...

They add more UV and help your corals display more pop.
They're dimmer to the eye to other t5's, but our eyes can't really pick their UV par strength.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is best for viewing depends entirely on your visual preference. Some people who only know leds find the blue+ bulb way too white/yellow believe it or not. You said it right. Your MH is doing the heavy lifting.

The rest is entirely your preference. If it were my own tank, I’d likely do 2 blue+ 2 true actinic for a dawn/dusk period and run my MH on a whiter 10-14k choice for 6-8 hours a day. But that’s my visual preference. Yours may differ

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They add more UV and help your corals display more pop.
They're dimmer to the eye to other t5's, but our eyes can't really pick their UV par strength.
There s very little true UV in tubes.
410x2zKJEaL._AC_.jpg

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wich is better the kz coral light or the coral light new generation. Would like a clear tank where we can also see the pink, I have 4 bulbs

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uv is actually very present I think in fluorescent lighting....fwiw I think the people asking about bulbs and color should buy the bulbs and test them out themselves. I did. I had to. Anyone and everyone can say this or that or post graphs ect.
D

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back