What the he$& kind of algae is this!!

Drewposi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine is fighting this thick green algae is his reef tank. Tank had been up and running for 6 months parameters all in check and with the last hurricane here in Florida the tank got hot for 4 days and was shut down. Since then this thick spongy green algae has started. I helped him remove a whole bunch tonight and did a 70% water change. We siphoned bunch of green hair type algae out but this stuff is like stuck on the rocks and almost has a sponge consistency. Any idea what it is??

IMG_5966.jpeg IMG_5967.jpeg IMG_5968.jpeg IMG_5969.jpeg

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EHHHHH, does it have fern like structers? If so im thinking you may have a type of bryopsis...

Also this is a very useful website for most common pest algaes!

OP
OP
D

Drewposi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EHHHHH, does it have fern like structers? If so im thinking you may have a type of bryopsis...

Also this is a very useful website for most common pest algaes!
Yep. Hard stick like fern stems covered in green branch like algae. He as like a huge volleyball sized rock COVERED in it. We got like a quarter of it off but couldn’t get anymore. That sucks. May have to say bye bye to that rock

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that'd be for the best! Bryopsis is notorious for being subborn as heck to get rid of, as nothing really eats it :/

If you're up to do some elbow grease I reccommend pulling a few rocks at a time, spraying the algae patches with 3% hydrogen peroxide and let the peroxide sit on it for a min or two then returning the rock back into the tank. The bryopsis should slowly wither and die a week or so later in the tank.

Or if you wanna go the chemical route you can try to use fluconazole. (I have used it multiple times with great results) i used reefflux. Just becareful as it can make corals angry for the duration of the treatment

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back