what the heck hair algae?

ArnoldosAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hair algae keeps growing out of control meanwhile in the refugium the chaeto is almost all gone. what the heck?

I have a light on for about 10 hours or so every night if not longer. 

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hair algae keeps growing out of control meanwhile in the refugium the chaeto is almost all gone. what the heck?

I have a light on for about 10 hours or so every night if not longer. 
What is the wattage of your tank light vs your refugium?

Also consider chaeto requires a lot of iron and the gha is likely to lock it all up since it has a good hold.

OP
OP
ArnoldosAquariums

ArnoldosAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the wattage of your tank light vs your refugium?

Also consider chaeto requires a lot of iron and the gha is likely to lock it all up since it has a good hold.

wattage of refugium is wayyyyy less thanDT. It’s just a cheap grow light for fuge.

Should I dose iron? Straight to fuge? How much? I’ve a 75g DT

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
For fuge i dose iron and amino

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Drneil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue, GHA growing like mad and cheato dying off. I decided to tackle the GHA first and have been very successful.

Mainly pulling out the GHA and removing the phosphate with Rowphos. After the phosphates were down I used Vibrant till all the GHA was gone. It did take two months.

I'm about to restart my cheato with a new growlight (modified old ai prime, might write a thread on it). I used various cheap growlights over my cheato and it did grow in the early stages but I think my problem started when I upgraded my DT lights.

I did try and regrow cheato after I'd cured the GHA outbreak and dosed iron and added more flow but this didn't help. My phosphate kept rising and the cheato broke apart.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue, GHA growing like mad and cheato dying off. I decided to tackle the GHA first and have been very successful.

Mainly pulling out the GHA and removing the phosphate with Rowphos. After the phosphates were down I used Vibrant till all the GHA was gone. It did take two months.

Good to know. I've been doing something similar. My GHA is finally almost gone after several months of frustration. I have noticed a little shrinkage of the chaeto, maybe due to the Vibrant, but it seems to still be doing well. I'm just dosing a little phyto in the refugium and running the light at night.

Victor Nguyen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with you guys. I was overdosing reef roid. My chaeto was dying off too and GHA was growing like crazy. I re-started chaeto and set my refugium light to 24/7. Also, I was manually removing GHA by scrubbing rocks or sucking out with a hose.

After 3 months of water change (10-20% every week), GHA is finally gone. I think you guys are on the right path. GHA will go away by itself. It will die off and just fall off the rocks.

OP
OP
ArnoldosAquariums

ArnoldosAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with you guys. I was overdosing reef roid. My chaeto was dying off too and GHA was growing like crazy. I re-started chaeto and set my refugium light to 24/7. Also, I was manually removing GHA by scrubbing rocks or sucking out with a hose.

After 3 months of water change (10-20% every week), GHA is finally gone. I think you guys are on the right path. GHA will go away by itself. It will die off and just fall off the rocks.
Start with 1.5 ml per week and increase or decrease as needed. My sump is 140 gallons and i dose 3.5ml
What should it BE at? How do I test for it?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back