What the heck is consuming my alkalinity?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy I appreciate the confirmation. A further question, if I am suffering from calcium carbonate precipitation but I want to stabilize alk and calcium levels is there anything I can do? I was going to try to slowly start dosing some limewater. Would this be a pointless endeavor? Should I just continue to let my alk drop and not try and intervene?

If you want to slow precipitation, the prescription is low pH, low alk, (the two biggest drivers), low calcium m, and higher phosphate, magnesium and organics.

OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to slow precipitation, the prescription is low pH, low alk, (the two biggest drivers), low calcium m, and higher phosphate, magnesium and organics.
Ok sounds good and thank you. I will hold off on the limewater. Low alk and calcium are already taking care of themselves haha. I already have high magnesium. I'm not going to dose phosphate just to stop precipitation. I think my answer is higher organics. I need to let the chemistry be and add more fish and let the tank stabilize and mature.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back