what the heck is this? Montipora whiskers?

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this bubblegum digi monti in my QT, and noticed these two whisker type projections coming out of it, into the flow. There are two pairs, photos below. I know montis don’t have sweeper tentacles, so is this some type of worm that’s living inside the skeleton?

And if so. What type? Looks like this piece needs to go back into Bayer?

Lemme know your thoughts

IMG_2698.jpeg
IMG_2703.jpeg
IMG_2699.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First pic not so much (the squiggly of the "antenna" is throwing me), but second pic definitely looks like spionid. . .

I am terrified of them becoming a plague and I frag them off when I see them/can. Some people would say my fears are unwarranted and they are no big deal and you ignore them . . . some people have tried to eradicate them with little success. . . . . .

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. That was my guess as well when I started researching them.. Strange that they appeared 5 weeks into my coral quarantine (!) I actually didn't see them before then (or maybe just didn't notice). They must have survived the 10 min Bayer dip, which goes along with other people's observations that they can survive in Bayer.
In this particular case, it's off of a side branch of the monti digi, so easy enough to just frag them off. I'll keep this piece down in QT for another couple weeks to see what happens.

Do these things have to grow in coral skeletons or can they grow in the plugs as well?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. That was my guess as well when I started researching them.. Strange that they appeared 5 weeks into my coral quarantine (!) I actually didn't see them before then (or maybe just didn't notice). They must have survived the 10 min Bayer dip, which goes along with other people's observations that they can survive in Bayer.
In this particular case, it's off of a side branch of the monti digi, so easy enough to just frag them off. I'll keep this piece down in QT for another couple weeks to see what happens.

Do these things have to grow in coral skeletons or can they grow in the plugs as well?
It's my understanding that they bore into the skeleton. You can break off they branch but it may have bored deeper into the skeleton, farther than just the branch.

Check this thread. It has pictures of coral sections.

Thread 'Coral Boring Spionid Worms -- an ugly bane to SPS' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/coral-boring-spionid-worms-an-ugly-bane-to-sps.929439/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back