What the heck is this?

anemonesaur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help me identify this "thing"?
I just noticed it popping up underneath a rock.

Unfortunately that is the only angle I can photograph it, but I think it should be clear enough to see some distinguishing features.

I'm afraid it might be some kind of bristle worm that can shoot out it's mouth like alien, but now that I think of it, I don't have anything small in the tank for it to have eaten to have gotten this far except pods. The "fan" is about 1cm across, so it's pretty small, but I have no idea how far it goes since he's underneath rock. I almost looks like some kind of filter feeder with it's whiteish fans, but I guess they could also be gills....

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

20180704_170753.jpg

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help me identify this "thing"?
I just noticed it popping up underneath a rock.

Unfortunately that is the only angle I can photograph it, but I think it should be clear enough to see some distinguishing features.

I'm afraid it might be some kind of bristle worm that can shoot out it's mouth like alien, but now that I think of it, I don't have anything small in the tank for it to have eaten to have gotten this far except pods. The "fan" is about 1cm across, so it's pretty small, but I have no idea how far it goes since he's underneath rock. I almost looks like some kind of filter feeder with it's whiteish fans, but I guess they could also be gills....

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

20180704_170753.jpg

Best guess is barnacle. I have one under my pectinia that looks half shell half fan......It can retract completely.

Spiny oyster could also be possible.

OP
OP
anemonesaur

anemonesaur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best guess is barnacle. I have one under my pectinia that looks half shell half fan......It can retract completely.

Spiny oyster could also be possible.
Thank you for the insight. I did try to touch it with a stick, and it does retract completely and slowly comes back out. I'll give it a few days or weeks and hopefully it will get larger or move around and I can try to get a better picture.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the insight. I did try to touch it with a stick, and it does retract completely and slowly comes back out. I'll give it a few days or weeks and hopefully it will get larger or move around and I can try to get a better picture.

It’s really cool regardless. :)

OP
OP
anemonesaur

anemonesaur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really cool regardless. :)
It sure is! I love finding weird and random stuff living in my tank. The other day I found a whole colony of baby feather worms in back, and today, in addition to the barnacle, I found a small clam growing under my lobo. I love nature :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back